What do you design for a client who wants a space for everything? That was the question Aussie firm Branch Studio Architects faced confronted for one of their latest commissions, a pond-side studio retreat in Balnarring, Australia. Branch is no stranger to creating small, modern, waterfront dwellings, but The Retreat required a little architectural sleight of hand.
Made of ash wood slats, black steel, concrete, and glass, the building appears to hover just above the water. From the outside, it’s a minimalist box dominated by a wall of windows. But inside, the studio transforms into whatever space is needed. A daybed sunken into the concrete floor beside the window offers a relaxed view of the pond. The plywood paneling conceals other features that can be pulled out or tucked away at will.
A murphy bed folds down from the back wall, with curtain that can be pulled in front to make a simple bedroom space. A fold-out table can turn the room into an efficient office or dining area, with secret storage cabinets abound. A small kitchenette opposite the desk area is lined with brass, while a hidden door opens onto the stone-lined bathroom, topped by a skylight.
more recommended stories
- Ancient Earth’s Hot Interior Created Graveyard Of Continental Slabs
http://news.mit.edu/sites/mit.edu.newsoffice/files/styles/article_cover_image_original/public/images/2017/MIT-Sinking-Slabs-1.jpg Plate tectonics has shaped the.
- For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization celebrates a decade of legal accomplishments (censored)
For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization.
- Online Sportsbook Tempts Bettors With More Options For Mayweather-McGregor Super Fight
San Jose, Costa Rica: Today,.
- Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- Comedian, civil rights activist Dick Gregory dies at 84
Reuters on Sun, Aug 20th, 2017.
- NFL Blackout – Time To Take A Stand #BlackOut
In 2016, San Francisco 49er quarterback,.
- Report: FDA Asking Patients To Provide CBD Feedback
Finally, the FDA is asking people.
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.