The University of Kansas is dedicating a wing of one of its residence halls for LGBT students as part of a gender-inclusive housing initiative.
Lewis Hall will welcome gay, bi, trans, gender-nonbinary and genderfluid students, along with those who are questioning. Roommates will be assigned without consideration for studentsâ€™ gender identity or sexual orientation. So far, more than 20 students have signed to live in the wing next fall, and thereâ€™s already a waiting list.
â€œIt tells me weâ€™re hitting a need,â€� Student housing director Diana Robertson told the Lawrence Journal-World.
Lewis Hall may also become home to student allies, as itâ€™s open to anyone requesting a preferenceâ€”â€�Thereâ€™s no questions asked,â€� Robertson explains. But residents will have to sign an agreement regarding behaving appropriately and protecting the privacy of others, and may be asked to relocate if they violate the rules.
In the past, housing officials worked on a case-by-case basis to place students who didnâ€™t feel comfortable in traditional housing. Students may still, of course, opt to reside in a traditional dorm that matches their gender identity, if they prefer.
The University of Kansas joins the growing number of colleges offering gender-neutral or LGBT-inclusive housing on campus.
more recommended stories
- “In a Heartbeat” – New Animated Short Film About A Boy Coming Out
“In a Heartbeat” – Animated Short.
- YES!!As a Welcoming and Affirming church, and as a…
YES!! As a Welcoming and Affirming.
- The Remarkable Life Of Harvey Milk
The remarkable life of Harvey Milk will be.
- It’s Now Undeniable That LGBTQ Rights Are In Danger Of Being Rolled Back
I’ve many times discussed victory blindness,.
- Going Out To Over A Million Homes And Counting – New England Pride TV
[embedded content] Related
- How the Nazis destroyed the first gay rights movement
Very recently, Germanyâ€™s Cabinet approved a.
- Coming Sept…. Will & Grace
by Christopher Rudolph 8h ago Start.
- TX governor signs bill allowing providers to deny…
Beginning in September, child welfare agencies.
- Thank you we raised $502 for safe homes.
Thank you we raised $502 for.
- Vandals Paint Over Students’ Pride Display With Pro-Trump Message
Ugh….http://www.newnownext.com/highline-high-school-trump-graffiti-pride/06/2017/ “Not only is [Highline High.