One thing that bothers me is the concept of “playing Devil’s Advocate.”
Oftentimes, if we come up with a good idea, friends, family and coworkers will look to find reasons why it won’t work. They’ll look for reasons why we might fail…but they’ll frame it in the guise of trying to “help” us.
“I was just playing Devil’s Advocate.”
But that’s not helpful at all, is it?
For one, looking for reasons why something won’t work isn’t a good formula for actually making them work. It’s not encouraging. It just spreads bad vibes.
But more than anything, it’s easy.
Easy for those who are not in the arena to judge the warrior. Easy for those sitting on the sidelines to speculate while they hide from taking action themselves.
If someone you care about is starting a project that they love, don’t look for reasons why it won’t work. Flood them with reasons why it will.
And here’s the key: if the idea doesn’t work, that’s fine too. The object of the game in life is to take action. We can’t control outcomes but we can always control our actions. So, encourage them to keep trying until they get better results.
The Devil doesn’t need any more advocates. He’s fine.
more recommended stories
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Seven Sundays LLC. Recalls Vanilla Cherry Pecan Muesli Because of Possible Health Risk
Seven Sundays LLC of Minneapolis, MN.
- Current Marijuana Laws In Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- Millennial Parents and Their Kids Love Smart Speakers, but Data Privacy Issues Persist
http://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/voice-family-parents-PAGE-2017-652x367.jpg | 11 hours ago Google.
- 10 surprising spaces in California being converted into cannabis businesses
Published: Aug 15, 2017, 3:40 pm.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Becomes First State Court to Find Employers Must Accommodate Use of Medical Marijuana
As the number of states legalizing.
- Dierbergs Markets Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Fish (Bonito and Cod), Lobster, Crab, Shrimp, Soy and Wheat in Product
St Louis-based Dierbergs Markets is recalling.
- Estimating Appliance and Home Electronic Energy Use
Our appliance and electronic energy use.
- CCTV footage Shows Deputies Torturing Young Man with Taser in Ashland City
CHEATHAM COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – A.