On Tuesday, former Virginia Congressman Tom Perriello suffered a massive double digit loss in the Democratic gubernatorial primary. It was a shocking loss given that the progressive politician had been leading in the polls for nearly a month and had the endorsement of both Sens. Bernie Sanders (Vt.) and Elizabeth Warren (Mass.). However, this has become the norm for the “Political Revolution.”
Following his defeat in 2016, Sanders hoped to be a kingmaker in the Democratic Party and transform it into a more progressive home for Democratic Socialists.
It hasn’t been working out like that. Sanders’ candidates have been suffering in a wave of defeat after defeat: Heath Mello for mayor of Omaha, Kimberly Ellis for California Democratic Party Chairmanship, and Rob Quist for Congress in Montana all lost this year.
Last year wasn’t much better for the Revolution with major losses for congressional seats in New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Wisconsin and Colorado as well as Senate seats in North Carolina, Wisconsin, and Utah. Our Revolution still hopes to make some gains in the mayoral elections in Atlanta and Birmingham in 2017.
Frustrated by losses, Sanders supporters have splintered into various groups between the Justice Democrats (who are working on giving primary challenges to incumbents like the way the Tea Party did in 2010), Our Revolution, and those who are giving up on the Democratic Party altogether and joining the Green Party.
Meanwhile, establishment Democrats are looking to challenge progressive darlings including Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard.
Don’t expect Bernie’s Revolution to have as much success as Ron Paul’s.
Source: Red Alert Politics
Source: Red Alert Politics
more recommended stories
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- The Militant Left’s Attack on the Roman Catholic Church
Conservative Catholic Group in Ferndale, Michigan.
- The Non-College Educated Can’t Handle Fancy Sandwiches, According To The New York Times
(AP Image) David Brooks offers a.
- $20 billion in revenue: Survey finds 1-in-3 millennials have used Venmo for drugs
(AP Image) According to a new.
- Trump’s Legal Team Argues That Sexual Harassment Is Protected By 1st Amendment
Donald Trum’s lawyers are arguing that.
- No, Bernie Sanders Will Not Be Too Old To Run In 2020 [Opinion]
Since the end of the Democratic.
- Bernie Sanders: Greedy Lying Socialist 1 Percenter
Daniel Greenfield, a Shillman Journalism Fellow.
- Republicans In DC Would Prefer To Have Mike Pence As President
https://www.youtube.com/embed/AlRQgOOJCaQ According to reports, Republicans behind.
- Has Orwell’s “Big Brother” Become ‘Big Bezos’?
(via Screenshot) Is America becoming a.
- Why Is It Sexist When Men Interrupt Kamala Harris, But Not Betsy DeVos?
(AP Photo) After Sen. Kamala Harris,.