Less than two weeks after the Thai government closed its Koh Tachai island indefinitely, the country has announced the closure of another three of its islands in a bid to save its beaches and endangered coral reefs.
On Wednesday, Thai marine officials said that all tourist activities will be banned at Koh Khai Nok, Koh Khai Nui and Koh Khai Nai. All three islands are located off the coast of the popular tourist trap, Phuket.
According to Thailand’s Department of Marine and Coastal resources (DCMR), natural resources around the neighbouring islands are fast diminishing as a result of increased tourism.
During a meeting between DCMR and tour operators and guides on Tuesday, regional chief Watcharin Na Thalang said that coral damage is caused by the coral bleaching process, which occurs naturally and is accelerated by human activity.
Currently, the three islands service up to 60 speedboats a day. Tourists spend up to three hours a day snorkelling and partaking in water sports activities.
Officials have since started to remove tourist facilities and structures from the islands. This will be followed by the vacating of shops and restaurants.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
more recommended stories
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- 96-Year-Old Convicted Nazi Declared Fit For Prison
A former Nazi SS guard.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Philippine Mayor Linked To Drugs, 14 Others Killed In Raids
Police in the southern Philippines said they fatally.
- Act Now; To Help Protect Trafficking Victims, UN Urges On World Day Against The Scourge
30 July 2017 Criminal groups feed.
- Switzerland Supermarkets to Begin Selling CBD Joints
Swiss tobacco producer, Heimat, branched out.
- Top US Diplomat To Return To Qatar For Talks Eith Emir
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
- Social Media Site Reveals 300 Anonymous Users Personal Info To Revenge Porn Victim
By Eric Lieberman A social media.
- IS Attack Underscores Fragility Of Iraqi Security Forces
Iraqi Special Forces soldiers walk to.