Developing a problem with drugs—or what experts call a “substance use disorder”—can happen at any age, but it usually starts when a person is young. If you continue to use drugs even though they lead to harmful consequences, you may have a problem that could lead to addiction, the most severe substance use disorder. It can happen to anyone.
If you think you may have a substance use disorder, it’s important to talk to a medical professional about it. Your health and future could be at stake. But some people have questions or concerns that may hold them back from taking that step—for instance:
- How do I know if I have a substance use disorder or addiction?
- I don’t like lying to my parents, but they don’t understand me and my problems. If we talk about drugs, they’ll just yell at me. How can I avoid a fight?
- If I talk to a doctor, I’m afraid they’ll tell my parents everything. Can I prevent that?
- I don’t feel well when I stop using drugs. Do treatment centers force people to stop taking drugs immediately?
- If I want to ask for help, where do I start?
You don’t have to wonder. For answers to these questions and many others, check out NIDA’s “Step by Step Guide” for teens and young adults.
If you have concerns about a friend’s use of alcohol or drugs, there’s also a “Step by Step Guide” that answers questions about how you may be able to help them; and another guide for questions about an adult’s use of alcohol or drugs. All of our “Step by Step Guides” are on this page.
If you or someone you know needs help right away, you can visit the Lifeline Crisis Chat website and talk with a trained specialist about whatever is going on. It’s free, and chats are private and confidential.
more recommended stories
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- 96-Year-Old Convicted Nazi Declared Fit For Prison
A former Nazi SS guard.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Philippine Mayor Linked To Drugs, 14 Others Killed In Raids
Police in the southern Philippines said they fatally.
- Act Now; To Help Protect Trafficking Victims, UN Urges On World Day Against The Scourge
30 July 2017 Criminal groups feed.
- Switzerland Supermarkets to Begin Selling CBD Joints
Swiss tobacco producer, Heimat, branched out.
- Top US Diplomat To Return To Qatar For Talks Eith Emir
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
- Social Media Site Reveals 300 Anonymous Users Personal Info To Revenge Porn Victim
By Eric Lieberman A social media.
- IS Attack Underscores Fragility Of Iraqi Security Forces
Iraqi Special Forces soldiers walk to.