[Alexandria, VA, June 21, 2017] â€“Â Today, Smart Approaches to Marijuana (SAM) issued the following statement from SAM PresidentÂ Kevin SabetÂ in response to the conclusion of a special legislative session in Vermont which failed to pass a marijuana legalization bill:
â€œThis is a tremendous victoryÂ for public health and safety. Despite the pot lobbyâ€™s claims that this was about decriminalization, Vermont already decriminalized marijuana in 2013. This bill was nothing more than a trojan horse for the commercialization of another drug in Vermont,â€� said SAM President Kevin Sabet. â€œFor now, science and common sense has prevailed over industry lobbyists looking to turn Vermont into their next cash cow.Â Weâ€™re looking forward to continuing our work with parents, law enforcement, and public health specialists in Vermont to support evidence-based approaches to drug policy.â€�
Evidence demonstrates that marijuanaÂ â€“Â which has skyrocketed in average potency over the past decades â€“Â isÂ addictive and harmfulÂ to the human brain, especially when used by adolescents. Moreover, in states that have already legalized the drug, there has been an increase inÂ drugged driving crashesÂ andÂ youth marijuana use.Â States that have legalized marijuana have alsoÂ failed to shore up state budget shortfallsÂ with marijuana taxes, continue to see a thrivingÂ black market, and are experiencingÂ a continuedÂ riseÂ in alcohol sales.
Smart Approaches to Marijuana (SAM) is a nonpartisan, non-profit alliance of physicians, policy makers, prevention workers, treatment and recovery professionals, scientists, and other concerned citizens opposed to marijuana legalization who want health and scientific evidence to guide marijuana policies. SAM has affiliatesÂ in more than 30 states.
more recommended stories
- SAM Statement Regarding Removal of DOJ Marijuana Enforcement Barriers from Proposed CJS Appropriations Bill
SAM Statement Regarding Removal of DOJ.
- Marijuana Industry Loses Key Protection from Federal Enforcement in Proposed Spending Bill
[ALEXANDRIA, Va., June 28, 2017]â€“A proposed.
- Statement from SAM President Kevin Sabet Regarding Marijuana Study Committee in Rhode Island
Statement from SAM President Kevin Sabet.
- PNC Bank Closing Bank Accounts of Major Marijuana Lobby-Industry Group
PNC Bank Closing Bank Accounts of.
- New Study Finds Costs of Marijuana-Impaired Driving in Canada Total More Than $1 Billion
New Study Finds Costs of Marijuana-Impaired.
- Statement from SAM President Kevin Sabet on Senators Booker and Gillibrand’s Marijuana Legislation to Bypass FDA
Statement by President of Smart Approaches.
- Here’s Who Bankrolls The Fight Against Marijuana Legalization
By Keegan Hamilton on Oct 26,.
- Patrick Kennedy’s Anti-Marijuana Crusade
Published on Apr 18, 2017 Through.
- Coalition of Concerned Citizens in Compton, CA Urge AG Sessions to Stop Marijuana Commercialization
Coalition of Concerned Citizens in Compton,.
- Tobacco Wholesalers Seeking Marijuana Monopoly
Tobacco Wholesalers Seeking Marijuana Monopoly More.