The dream of the ’90s is alive in Netflix’s new virtual reality video rental store.
The streaming service, widely credited with squashing the brick-and-mortar rental industry, just showcased a virtual Blockbuster-like store with the company’s current streaming lineup reimagined as VHS tapes on the digital shelves of one of its doomed competitors.
Titles like House of Cards, the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Daredevil fill red-and-white-branded display stands topped with placards that echo the Netflix dashboard’s tailored categories.
Unlike a real movie store, however, all one has to do to watch a video is throw it at wall, triggering the store’s transformation into a themed viewing theater.
No word on how long the virtual VHS tapes take to rewind.
Unfortunately for anyone nostalgic for the days of Blockbuster late fees, the VR application may never be made available to the public. It was created as part of the company’s periodic “Hack Days,” an occasion for employees to get creative with new technologies.
“While we think these hacks are very cool and fun, they may never become part of the Netflix product, internal infrastructure, or otherwise be used beyond Hack Day,” a spokesperson wrote in a blog post.
Instead of blasting you back in time ten years, the actual Netflix VR app plants you in a cozy mountain cabin with a widescreen TV in place of a fireplace.
The setting for Netflix’s actual VR app.
But you never know: Maybe if this throwback trend were to catch on, we’d start seeing taxi-themed Ubers, Craigslist newspapers or Amazon bookstores (Oh wait).
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
more recommended stories
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- 96-Year-Old Convicted Nazi Declared Fit For Prison
A former Nazi SS guard.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Philippine Mayor Linked To Drugs, 14 Others Killed In Raids
Police in the southern Philippines said they fatally.
- Act Now; To Help Protect Trafficking Victims, UN Urges On World Day Against The Scourge
30 July 2017 Criminal groups feed.
- Switzerland Supermarkets to Begin Selling CBD Joints
Swiss tobacco producer, Heimat, branched out.
- Top US Diplomat To Return To Qatar For Talks Eith Emir
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
- Social Media Site Reveals 300 Anonymous Users Personal Info To Revenge Porn Victim
By Eric Lieberman A social media.