By Tyler Adkisson
June 15, 2017
In 2015, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service classified chimpanzees as endangered and severely limited biomedical studies on the animals.
And experts thought private labs and pharmaceutical companies would follow suit by retiring their own chimps, but only 22 of about 340 of those animals have been moved. So what’s the holdup?
Sanctuaries are trying their best to accommodate the animals. Project Chimps pledged to take in 220 lab chimpanzees within five years. But due to construction, the group has only taken in 22 of the 60 it planned to host by now.
Transporting chimps isn’t easy, either. Only four to 10 chimps can be moved at once because they can get aggressive.
Securing funding is also difficult. Sanctuaries use a mix of public donations and grants to pay for expenses. That can get pricey. Each chimp in a sanctuary can cost up to $20,000 to house annually.
But some labs like the Michale E. Keeling Center for Comparative Medicine and Research in Texas want chimps to enter “retirement in place.” They say they’d rather keep them where they are because the stress can be fatal for older chimps. Of 13 moved from their lab to a sanctuary, four died within the first three months.
more recommended stories
- Ancient Earth’s Hot Interior Created Graveyard Of Continental Slabs
http://news.mit.edu/sites/mit.edu.newsoffice/files/styles/article_cover_image_original/public/images/2017/MIT-Sinking-Slabs-1.jpg Plate tectonics has shaped the.
- For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization celebrates a decade of legal accomplishments (censored)
For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization.
- Online Sportsbook Tempts Bettors With More Options For Mayweather-McGregor Super Fight
San Jose, Costa Rica: Today,.
- Dick Gregory In His Own Words: Remembering the Pioneering Comedian and Civil Rights Activist
This is a rush transcript. Copy.
- Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- Comedian, civil rights activist Dick Gregory dies at 84
Reuters on Sun, Aug 20th, 2017.
- NFL Blackout – Time To Take A Stand #BlackOut
In 2016, San Francisco 49er quarterback,.
- Report: FDA Asking Patients To Provide CBD Feedback
Finally, the FDA is asking people.
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..