A political party in Norway has voted to ban the ritual circumcision of boys under the age of 16 and several other measures which have been blasted as an attack on minorities.
In its national annual conference over the weekend, the anti-immigrant and libertarian Progress Party (FrP) voted to also ban hijabs in public schools, as well as forbidding the religious ritual of circumcision for young men.
Advocates claimed that circumcision resulted in mental and physical harm to children and was a serious violation of human rights.
Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg heads a coalition between the Conservatives and the Progress Party, which is the third largest party in the country with 29 of the 169 seats in parliament.
The party leader, Siv Jensen, told the Aftenposten newspaper that she was against forbidding circumcision.
The reportedly last-minute and chaotic voting schedule meant that the proposed compromise – banning state funding for circumcision – failed.
Ms Jensen insisted the move was not designed to target minorities …
READ MORE ON INDEPENDENT.CO.UK
more recommended stories
- Ancient Earth’s Hot Interior Created Graveyard Of Continental Slabs
http://news.mit.edu/sites/mit.edu.newsoffice/files/styles/article_cover_image_original/public/images/2017/MIT-Sinking-Slabs-1.jpg Plate tectonics has shaped the.
- For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization celebrates a decade of legal accomplishments (censored)
For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization.
- Online Sportsbook Tempts Bettors With More Options For Mayweather-McGregor Super Fight
San Jose, Costa Rica: Today,.
- Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- Comedian, civil rights activist Dick Gregory dies at 84
Reuters on Sun, Aug 20th, 2017.
- NFL Blackout – Time To Take A Stand #BlackOut
In 2016, San Francisco 49er quarterback,.
- Report: FDA Asking Patients To Provide CBD Feedback
Finally, the FDA is asking people.
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.