A shooting that left two men dead at UCLA on Wednesday and led to a massive response on the campus in a bustling part of Los Angeles was a murder-suicide, authorities said.
Police Chief Charlie Beck declared the campus safe about two hours after authorities received a 911 call. The shooting happened in a small office in an engineering building called Boelter Hall, and a gun was found along with what might be a suicide note, he said. No names have been released.
Hundreds of officers from multiple federal and local agencies swarmed the campus, which had been placed on lockdown. Teams in tactical gear looking for victims and suspects ran across campus, some with weapons drawn, and stormed into buildings. People emerged from buildings with their hands raised or behind their heads.
The shooting occurred the week before final exams at UCLA, a major campus of the University of California system with about 43,000 students.
Many students posted to social media, many to let friends and family know they were safe. Some described frantic evacuation scenes and a large police response. Others wrote that their doors weren’t locking and posted photos of items like photocopiers and foosball tables pushed up against them.
The focus of police activity was a cluster of engineering buildings near the center of a campus that occupies 419 acres in Los Angeles. At a mathematical sciences building near Boelter Hall, SWAT officers with guns drawn cleared occupants who emerged one by one.
One man walked out with his hands up and was told to get on his knees. An armed officer searched him and his backpack, then sent him on his way with his hands still in the air.
Bioengineering professor Denise Aberle said she could see “a lot of police activity with innumerable cars” and a police helicopter hovering over the engineering building.
“Police keep coming,” she said.
more recommended stories
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- 96-Year-Old Convicted Nazi Declared Fit For Prison
A former Nazi SS guard.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Philippine Mayor Linked To Drugs, 14 Others Killed In Raids
Police in the southern Philippines said they fatally.
- Act Now; To Help Protect Trafficking Victims, UN Urges On World Day Against The Scourge
30 July 2017 Criminal groups feed.
- Switzerland Supermarkets to Begin Selling CBD Joints
Swiss tobacco producer, Heimat, branched out.
- Top US Diplomat To Return To Qatar For Talks Eith Emir
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
- Social Media Site Reveals 300 Anonymous Users Personal Info To Revenge Porn Victim
By Eric Lieberman A social media.
- IS Attack Underscores Fragility Of Iraqi Security Forces
Iraqi Special Forces soldiers walk to.