By: Thomas Pippen
President Donald Trump’s deportation policies could drive the price of milk up to $8 dollars a gallon, according to a Milk industry expert.
Around 80 percent of milk produced in America comes from dairies that use foreign labor, and if those workers leave, the U.S. will see significant milk shortages, Jaime Castaneda, senior vice president at the National Milk Producers Federation, told a panel Wednesday, according to the Hagstrom Report.
Casteneda said “if there were an attempt to remove workers you would have a significant shortage of milk and high prices,” as high as $8 dollars a gallon.
The dairy industry has “very high expectations” that Congress can address foreign labor issues, but not any time soon. “We see what happened with the health insurance fiasco,” Castaneda said, referring to Congress’s failure to pass the American Health Care Act to replace Obamacare. “The probability of having something else pass is diminished.”
The Department of Homeland Security has plans to create a large “deportation force” to prepare for an increase in detention and deportation of illegal immigrants. (RELATED: Homeland Security Drafts Plan To Ramp Up Deportation Force)
If the price of milk rises, milk from Mexico where labor is cheaper and workers have fewer rights might push the U.S. out of business.
Dairy farmers “are convinced most Americans do not want to do the kinds of jobs that they have available on their farms,” Thomas Maloney, agriculture labor expert at Cornell University told NPR in February.
Milk producers struggled last year when milk prices dropped considerably, but production increased.
Send tips to [email protected].
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected].
WATCH TLR’S LATEST VIDEO:
more recommended stories
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- The Militant Left’s Attack on the Roman Catholic Church
Conservative Catholic Group in Ferndale, Michigan.
- Rep. King: Defund Planned Parenthood, Food Stamps To Build Border Wall
By Thomas Phippen Iowa Republican Rep..
- The Non-College Educated Can’t Handle Fancy Sandwiches, According To The New York Times
(AP Image) David Brooks offers a.
- $20 billion in revenue: Survey finds 1-in-3 millennials have used Venmo for drugs
(AP Image) According to a new.
- Trump’s Legal Team Argues That Sexual Harassment Is Protected By 1st Amendment
Donald Trum’s lawyers are arguing that.
- No, Bernie Sanders Will Not Be Too Old To Run In 2020 [Opinion]
Since the end of the Democratic.
- Bernie Sanders: Greedy Lying Socialist 1 Percenter
Daniel Greenfield, a Shillman Journalism Fellow.
- Republicans In DC Would Prefer To Have Mike Pence As President
https://www.youtube.com/embed/AlRQgOOJCaQ According to reports, Republicans behind.
- Has Orwell’s “Big Brother” Become ‘Big Bezos’?
(via Screenshot) Is America becoming a.