Big Pharma could stand to lose roughly $4 billion annually if the federal government lets medical marijuana become a bigger force in the healthcare industry, New Frontier Data forecasts.
Data compiled from a study at the University of Georgia showed that Medicare prescriptions reduced significantly in medical marijuana legal states, according to Salon. When the study was conducted, medical marijuana was already costing Big Pharma about $166 million per year in revenues.
These nine pharmaceutical markets are already being impacted considerably:
- Chronic pain
- Nerve Pain
- Chemotherapy-induced nausea/vomiting
- Tourette’s syndrome
- Sleep disorders
Many patients with these conditions are opting for medical marijuana instead of pharmaceuticals.
Researchers also found that medical marijuana could strip $5 billion from the pharmaceutical industry’s $425 billion market.
John Kagia of New Frontier Data said, “The impact of medical cannabis legalization is not going to be enormously disruptive of the pharmaceutical industry.” Regardless, this is still a big chunk of money.
The report specifically included Pfizer Inc. It estimated that medical marijuana could take about $500 million from the company’s $53 billion annual revenue. GW Pharmaceuticals and Insys Therapeutics have already developed marijuana-based medications.
Some fear that the federal government would go as far as limiting medical marijuana to pharmaceutical manufacturing only.
more recommended stories
- Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Seniors Are the Fastest Growing Group of Marijuana Users
By Joseph Misulonas | Aug 14,.
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- Millennial Parents and Their Kids Love Smart Speakers, but Data Privacy Issues Persist
http://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/voice-family-parents-PAGE-2017-652x367.jpg | 11 hours ago Google.
- 10 surprising spaces in California being converted into cannabis businesses
Published: Aug 15, 2017, 3:40 pm.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Becomes First State Court to Find Employers Must Accommodate Use of Medical Marijuana
As the number of states legalizing.
- Estimating Appliance and Home Electronic Energy Use
Our appliance and electronic energy use.
- CCTV footage Shows Deputies Torturing Young Man with Taser in Ashland City
CHEATHAM COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – A.