McDonald’s (NYSE:MCD) has already admitted that its latest innovation is essentially useless. But the company still hopes that it serves an important purpose for its marketing efforts.
The product is called a “frork.” It’s essentially a fork, but with french fries instead of prongs. The purpose? According to an infomercial type video from McDonald’s, you can use it to pick up and eat all the toppings and condiments that fall out of McDonald’s new signature crafted sandwiches.
The video features Anthony Sullivan, “preposterous product pitching powerhouse” delivering a passionate presentation for the new product. But while McDonald’s did actually create a limited number of frorks for this promotion, the whole thing is clearly aimed more at getting attention than promoting the actual product.
Humor is the key for McDonald’s in this case. They’ve created a concept and a video that are fairly ridiculous and aimed at getting customers to laugh while also building just enough intrigue to actually get them to try the new signature sandwiches.
Humor in Marketing
But humor can be a tricky thing for businesses. If people don’t “get” the infomercial or if it just doesn’t strike the right chord with customers, then all of those marketing (and in this case actual product creation) resources will have gone to waste.
That doesn’t mean that businesses shouldn’t use humor in marketing. But it’s not always as easy as it looks. And it requires a really strong understanding of your audience if you want to be successful.
This article, “McDonald’s Frork Promotion Shows Gamble of Humor in Marketing” was first published on Small Business Trends
more recommended stories
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Seven Sundays LLC. Recalls Vanilla Cherry Pecan Muesli Because of Possible Health Risk
Seven Sundays LLC of Minneapolis, MN.
- Current Marijuana Laws In Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- Millennial Parents and Their Kids Love Smart Speakers, but Data Privacy Issues Persist
http://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/voice-family-parents-PAGE-2017-652x367.jpg | 11 hours ago Google.
- 10 surprising spaces in California being converted into cannabis businesses
Published: Aug 15, 2017, 3:40 pm.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Becomes First State Court to Find Employers Must Accommodate Use of Medical Marijuana
As the number of states legalizing.
- Estimating Appliance and Home Electronic Energy Use
Our appliance and electronic energy use.
- CCTV footage Shows Deputies Torturing Young Man with Taser in Ashland City
CHEATHAM COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – A.
- Volunteers Sought For Reading Of The Names At The Vietnam Memorial On It’s 35th Anniversary.
When the Vietnam Veterans Memorial was.