Soccer whisperer Jose Mourinho is all but set to join the iconic club Manchester United as manager. But the deal’s impending completion includes a very strange business wrinkle, according to multiple reports.
Mourinho doesn’t even own the rights to his own name. That’s right — Mourinho former employer, Chelsea FC, owns “Jose Mourinho,” which complicates United’s quest to sign Jose Mourinho.
Both the BBC and The Independent report the rights to Mourinho’s name are among the final hurdles in a deal that’s otherwise nearly complete to bring him to Manchester United. Mourinho — as arrogant as he is brilliant — is considered by many to be the best manager is soccer right now.
Indeed, a search of the European Union’s Intellectual Property Office database turns up a trademark for “Jose Mourinho” filed by Chelsea by March 31, 2005. Allowing Chelsea to sell goods featuring his name, it expires March 31, 2025. Mourinho’s signature is also trademarked by Chelsea.
Veteran sports lawyer Carol Couse told the BBC such an arrangement between club and manger is “really unusual,” although Mourinho has also managed two other big clubs since Chelsea trademarked his name.
“He has managed Inter and Real since then,” Crouse told the BBC. “They have either acquired the rights from Chelsea or managed the use of his name. If Chelsea didn’t grant a license, every time United used Jose Mourinho’s name in a commercial capacity against those products, Chelsea could sue Manchester United. I would suspect United would rather just pay a license fee.”
That’s not the only business oddity surrounding Mourinho-to-United, though. He’s also a high profile endorser of Jaguar cars; United’s jersey features the Chevrolet logo splashed across the chest.
In any case, all accounts say United is expected to complete the deal for Mourinho soon. Then the real fun begins.
Or maybe Mourinho should just change his name. Perhaps, for example, United will sign a new manager named “Mose Jourinho” soon.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
more recommended stories
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- 96-Year-Old Convicted Nazi Declared Fit For Prison
A former Nazi SS guard.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Philippine Mayor Linked To Drugs, 14 Others Killed In Raids
Police in the southern Philippines said they fatally.
- Act Now; To Help Protect Trafficking Victims, UN Urges On World Day Against The Scourge
30 July 2017 Criminal groups feed.
- Switzerland Supermarkets to Begin Selling CBD Joints
Swiss tobacco producer, Heimat, branched out.
- Top US Diplomat To Return To Qatar For Talks Eith Emir
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
- Social Media Site Reveals 300 Anonymous Users Personal Info To Revenge Porn Victim
By Eric Lieberman A social media.