Social justice warriors and Black Lives Matter are determined to wipe out racist icons and figures. Now, they’ve set their sight on a new target, Louisiana State University’s football mascot Mike the Tiger.
A petition created by a profile named LaMallori, which associates themselves with Black Lives Matter, has been circulating on Change.org and received nearly 500 signatures in just a few days.
LaMallori claims that the image of the tiger was created during the height of Jim Crow to honor a Confederate regime and is the “most prevalent confederate symbol in the United States.”
“These powerful white males choose the Tiger as a symbol to honor a confederate regiment called Louisiana’s Tigers. They were known for their propensity for violence on and off the battle field. They were just as violent to the black slaves they owned, and later even more violent once those slaves were set free,” LaMallori wrote. “It is incredibly insulting for any African American to have to attend to a school that honors confederate militantism. It is already hard enough to be black at LSU, and these symbols must be changed. We must speak truth to power, and continue to march toward justice. That day is coming, the day when every symbol of white oppression is torn down.”
Not everyone is keen on changing Mike the Tiger. The top comment on the Change.org page condemns LaMallori’s efforts, “This is getting f-ing ridiculous! The past Is the past. LSU has been the tigers since its inception.”
Source: Red Alert Politics
more recommended stories
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Seven Sundays LLC. Recalls Vanilla Cherry Pecan Muesli Because of Possible Health Risk
Seven Sundays LLC of Minneapolis, MN.
- Current Marijuana Laws In Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- Millennial Parents and Their Kids Love Smart Speakers, but Data Privacy Issues Persist
http://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/voice-family-parents-PAGE-2017-652x367.jpg | 11 hours ago Google.
- 10 surprising spaces in California being converted into cannabis businesses
Published: Aug 15, 2017, 3:40 pm.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Becomes First State Court to Find Employers Must Accommodate Use of Medical Marijuana
As the number of states legalizing.
- Dierbergs Markets Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Fish (Bonito and Cod), Lobster, Crab, Shrimp, Soy and Wheat in Product
St Louis-based Dierbergs Markets is recalling.
- Litehouse Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Egg In Product
Litehouse Inc. is voluntarily recalling a.
- Domestic Terrorist: James Alex Fields Jr. Identified As Driver In Charlottesville Attack
James Alex Fields Jr. has been.