John Oliver chastised Donald Trump during Last Week Tonight‘s Season Four premiere, criticizing the president for his media bias and casual disregard of fact-checking. “Faith and facts aren’t like Bill Pullman and Bill Paxton,” the comedian cracked. “When you confuse them, it actually matters.”
Oliver, the current Rolling Stone cover subject, opened his main segment with a brief rundown of Trump’s most egregious exaggerations, including statements on topics like voter fraud, Syrian Christian refugees and even the weather during his inauguration speech. “That is where we are currently at: We have a president capable of standing in the rain and saying it is a sunny day,” the host observed. “Trump has made it clear that reality is not important to him.”
Citing Politifact’s Truth-O-Meter, which found that 69.9 percent of Trump’s statements so far have been some degree of false, the host continued to explore the president’s rocky relationship with truth. One major problem, Oliver said, is that Trump gets a troubling amount of information from cable news, particularly Fox News, and websites like Info Wars and Breitbart, the latter formerly overseen by the president’s chief strategist, Steve Bannon.
“There is a pattern here,” Oliver observed. “Trump sees something that jibes with his worldview, doesn’t check it, half-remembers it and then passes it on – at which point it takes on a life of its own and appears to validate itself.”
To help reach the president with some unbiased information, Last Week Tonight created a series of TV ads scheduled to run on MSNBC, CNN and Fox News in the D.C. area. Styled as a cowboy-led catheter commercial parody, the clips sneak in important factoids about climate change, the unemployment rate and the name of Trump’s daughter Tiffany.
more recommended stories
- Remarks by President Trump on the Strategy in Afghanistan and South Asia
Fort Myer Arlington, Virginia 9:02 P.M..
- Comedian, civil rights activist Dick Gregory dies at 84
Reuters on Sun, Aug 20th, 2017.
- 6 Police Officers Shot in Florida and Pennsylvania, 1 Killed and 5 Wounded
Six police officers were shot, one.
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- Domestic Terrorist: James Alex Fields Jr. Identified As Driver In Charlottesville Attack
James Alex Fields Jr. has been.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Glen Campbell 1936-2017
Glen Travis Campbell 1936-2017 It is.
- Chelsea Handler Suggests a Law That Would Land Her in Jail
Television host and comedian Chelsea Handler.
- Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio Guilty Of Criminal Contempt
Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s own words.