Back to scare a whole new generation of kids is “It” bringing in a record-breaking $117 million in its first weekend out.
“It,” based on Stephen King’s novel and a 1990 miniseries, just had the second-best debut for an R-rated film ever, right behind a different clown. “Deadpool”. still holds the record with a $132 million opening in 2016.
But even the Merc with a Mouth has to appreciate the sheer number of records Pennywise managed to break just this weekend.
“It” is also the cheapest movie ever to top $100 million in its opening, with production costs hovering around $35 million. After all, makeup and balloons can only cost so much.
Lastly, “It” had far and away the best debut ever for a Stephen King adaptation. “The Dark Tower,”which came out about a month ago, earned pretty bad reviews and didn’t make very much money. “It” has done just the opposite.
“It’s really well-done, and, as cliche as this is going to sound, you’re really on the edge of your seat,” Matt Atchity said on What the Flick?!
Taking the No. 2 spot is “Home Again,” bringing in an estimated $9 million in its debut. This Reese Witherspoon-led dramedy couldn’t do much in the way of pleasing the peanut gallery, but I (and a lot of other people) don’t mind watching Witherspoon be adorable for two hours, so this film may still stand a chance in the coming weeks.
More importantly, though, it only cost $15 millionto produce, so breaking even is a good bet.Â
And finally, falling to the No. 3 spot after three weeks on top is “The Hitman’s Bodyguard,” bringing in anÂ estimated $4.8 million.
As for next week, brooding like you’ve never seen before.
more recommended stories
- Hurricane Local Statement issued September 20 at 5:13AM EDT by NWS
NOAA-NWS-ALERTS-MA12586886DEA4.HurricaneLocalStatement.125868881210MA.BOXHLSBOX.d4cbad3a7425c2bacdcd178d3caebbbc firstname.lastname@example.org 2017-09-20T05:13:00-04:00 Actual Alert.
- Judge Tosses Sarah Palin’s Suit Against The New York Times
A federal judge has.
- Bernie Sanders Scolds Democratic Establishment at Uptown Book Launch
Bernie Sanders in Manhattan View Full.
- US Sens. Ed Markey, Elizabeth Warren Look To Ban Menthol Cigarettes
Posted by MassCentralBoston.com on Sunday, August 27,.
- WATCH: Student Punches Teacher Repeatedly
LISTEN TO TLRâ€™S LATEST PODCAST: Rob.
- Senator Named to Marijuana Regulatory Post Opposed Legal Pot
Republican Gov. Charlie Baker has named.
- University loses students, major donations after they reinstate racist anti-white professor
(AP Photo/Dave Collins) Johnny Eric.
- Rights defenders ‘must not be silenced,’ says UN office, urging Turkey to release activists
7 July 2017 â€“ The United.
- North Korea Claims It Tested First Intercontinental Missile
This image made from video of.
- Getting Creative with Instagram
By Lisa Jane on Tuesday.