This morning in Ankara, Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrei Karlov was speaking at an art gallery when he was murdered by a Muslim terrorist. The terrorist shouted “Allahu akbar” and delivered a monologue about Russia’s actions in Syria. The gunman apparently agreed with Russia that its efforts are anti-terrorist.
A courageous Associated Press photographer who was present shot a stunning series of photos. The gunman approaches the ambassador from behind:
The assassin was killed by police; unfortunately, not soon enough. No word yet on a Russian reaction.
UPDATE: It is being reported that the murderer was a 22-year-old off-duty Turkish policeman named Mevlüt Mert Altıntaş.
MORE: There is video of the attack, too. I am not going to post it because it includes the moment when the ambassador is shot, but you can see it here.
One more photo:
more recommended stories
- 6 Police Officers Shot in Florida and Pennsylvania, 1 Killed and 5 Wounded
Six police officers were shot, one.
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- Domestic Terrorist: James Alex Fields Jr. Identified As Driver In Charlottesville Attack
James Alex Fields Jr. has been.
- 96-Year-Old Convicted Nazi Declared Fit For Prison
A former Nazi SS guard.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio Guilty Of Criminal Contempt
Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s own words.
- Maine Governor Begs Feds to “Bring the Hammer Down” on His Own State
Gov. Paul LePage is doing it.
- Philippine Mayor Linked To Drugs, 14 Others Killed In Raids
Police in the southern Philippines said they fatally.