“Too many people are going to college,” writes my American Enterprise Institute colleague Charles Murray. That’s not a response to the mob of students that attacked him and the liberal professor who had invited him to speak back in March at Middlebury College. It’s the title of the third chapter in his 2008 book Real Education: Four Simple Truths for Bringing America’s Schools Back to Reality.
Since Murray wrote those words, higher-education enrollment has in fact declined, from 20.6 million in 2011 to 19 million in 2006, according to Ohio University economists Richard Vedder and Justin Stehle writing in the Wall Street Journal. That 8 percent drop is concentrated in community colleges and for-profit schools.
But enrollment has been no better than flat at large four-year universities, and law school enrollment plunged 31 percent from 2010 to 2015. And freshman enrollment at the University of Missouri fell 35 percent since the riots in which a faculty member called for “muscle” against a student journalist and administrators caved in to rioters’ demands.
One reason for the flight, Vedder and Stehle argue, is that the costs of higher education keep rising while the returns for a college diploma are getting worse. Tuitions and fees rose 74 percent, adjusted for inflation, from 2000 to 2016, while the earnings differential between high school and college graduates fell 10 percent.
A sister publication to Red Alert Politics, the Washington Examiner brings its readers breaking news and analysis on politics.
Source: Red Alert Politics
more recommended stories
- Industrial â€œedge citiesâ€� have helped China grow
http://news.mit.edu/sites/mit.edu.newsoffice/files/styles/article_cover_image_original/public/images/2017/MIT-Edge-Cities-1.jpg Chinaâ€™s massive investment in industrial.
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- 10 surprising spaces in California being converted into cannabis businesses
Published: Aug 15, 2017, 3:40 pm.
- Domestic Terrorist: James Alex Fields Jr. Identified As Driver In Charlottesville Attack
James Alex Fields Jr. has been.
- Estimating Appliance and Home Electronic Energy Use
Our appliance and electronic energy use.
- CCTV footage Shows Deputies Torturing Young Man with Taser in Ashland City
CHEATHAM COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – A.
- Volunteers Sought For Reading Of The Names At The Vietnam Memorial On It’s 35th Anniversary.
When the Vietnam Veterans Memorial was.
- A Plea From Texas to Willie Nelson: Your Influence Is Needed In Fight To Legalize Marijuana
By Neal Pollack, The Cannabist Staff.
- Missouri Sues Three Big Pharma Companies For “Campaign Of Fraud And Deception”
Published: Jun 23, 2017, 3:22 pm.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson on Marijuana: “There’s No Reason For It to Have Ever Been Made Illegal”
By Sydney Robinson – August 8, 2017 Share.