The Internet movie database IMDb has introduced an “F-rating” designation in an effort to draw positive attention to films deemed feminist.
The idea for the F-rating began in 2014, at the Bath Film Festival, and has caught on in the UK, where it has been adopted by about 40 British theaters and film festivals, the BBC reported. The Bath Film Festival’s director, Holly Tarquini, even delivered a TedX Youth talk last year promoting the concept.
The F-rating designation is given to female-written or –directed films. It also applies to movies that feature strong female protagonists.
The third qualification is broader than the so-called Bechdel Test, a popular way to determine whether a movie is progressive by looking at whether in scenes where two female characters appear together they discuss something other than a male character.
“When we looked into it more, there were lots of films that didn’t pass [the Bechdel test] but should because they have amazingly strong female protagonists,” the Bath Film Festival’s Tarquini said in 2014. “So Gravity, for example, doesn’t pass it because Sandra Bullock doesn’t talk to any other women, and yet she’s clearly an amazing female lead. We wanted to take it a step further and highlight films which either had a senior figure in production who was female—a director or a screenwriter – or had very strong female leads or women’s issues.”
About 21,800 films on IMDb pass those standards, including Frozen, The Girl on the Train, and Bridget Jones’s Baby.
Since its inception in 2014, the F designation has been controversial. The chief executive of Women in Film and Television UK said in 2014 that while she liked the idea of the rating, she hoped it wasn’t used to restrict creative expression.
Similarly, an editor for the British film magazine Empire told the Independent that “certain people would be inclined to mock [the F-rating], and that would probably balance out the positive effect that it would have.”
more recommended stories
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Seven Sundays LLC. Recalls Vanilla Cherry Pecan Muesli Because of Possible Health Risk
Seven Sundays LLC of Minneapolis, MN.
- Current Marijuana Laws In Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- Millennial Parents and Their Kids Love Smart Speakers, but Data Privacy Issues Persist
http://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/voice-family-parents-PAGE-2017-652x367.jpg | 11 hours ago Google.
- 10 surprising spaces in California being converted into cannabis businesses
Published: Aug 15, 2017, 3:40 pm.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Becomes First State Court to Find Employers Must Accommodate Use of Medical Marijuana
As the number of states legalizing.
- Estimating Appliance and Home Electronic Energy Use
Our appliance and electronic energy use.
- CCTV footage Shows Deputies Torturing Young Man with Taser in Ashland City
CHEATHAM COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – A.
- Volunteers Sought For Reading Of The Names At The Vietnam Memorial On It’s 35th Anniversary.
When the Vietnam Veterans Memorial was.