The Illinois treasurer has sent President Donald Trump a letter urging him to give clear guidance to the banking industry about medical marijuana.
State Treasurer Michael Frerichs issued a news release Monday saying Trump’s approach will be crucial to the continuing availability of medical marijuana in Illinois.
Federal law prohibits banks from processing money used in the legal marijuana industry.
Frerichs says this makes it difficult for businesses to get loans and restricts customers to cash-only transactions.
Under President Barack Obama, the Justice Department stated it would not make enforcement a priority, given that many states had legalized some marijuana use.
Frerichs’ letter to Trump urges him to give assurance that responsible financial institutions will not face penalties or prosecution for conducting business with state-licensed marijuana cultivators and dispensaries.
more recommended stories
- Report: FDA Asking Patients To Provide CBD Feedback
Finally, the FDA is asking people.
- Flash Flood Warning issued August 19 at 12:36AM EDT until August 19 at 2:30AM EDT by NWS
The National Weather Service in Taunton.
- Seniors Are the Fastest Growing Group of Marijuana Users
By Joseph Misulonas | Aug 14,.
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- 10 surprising spaces in California being converted into cannabis businesses
Published: Aug 15, 2017, 3:40 pm.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Becomes First State Court to Find Employers Must Accommodate Use of Medical Marijuana
As the number of states legalizing.
- A Plea From Texas to Willie Nelson: Your Influence Is Needed In Fight To Legalize Marijuana
By Neal Pollack, The Cannabist Staff.
- Missouri Sues Three Big Pharma Companies For “Campaign Of Fraud And Deception”
Published: Jun 23, 2017, 3:22 pm.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson on Marijuana: “There’s No Reason For It to Have Ever Been Made Illegal”
By Sydney Robinson – August 8, 2017 Share.