Representatives of NORML, a nonprofit lobbying organization for marijuana legalization, are pushing for the removal of marijuana from workplace drug tests. They’re calling for marijuana’s removal from both pre-employment tests and in cases of termination. NORML doesn’t want marijuana to be a viable reason for businesses to not choose a potential employee or terminate an employee.
NORML will be working with Workplace Drug Testing Coalition in its endeavors, according to Denverite. The removal of marijuana from pre-employment drug testing would greatly open up the pool of candidates for employers. The goal would be to teach marijuana users safe workplace habits and abstinence during work hours.
Kevin Mahmalji of NORML said, “Even though marijuana is legal and readily available in several states, consumers are being unfairly forced to choose between their job and consuming off the clock as a result of out-of-date employment practices.”
Chapters of NORML in California, Colorado, Oregon and Washington are kicking their gears into high speed on their new reform efforts.
Attorney and NORML activist Judd Golden said, “Random, suspicionless drug testing of applicants or employees for past marijuana use is not just unfair and discriminatory, it’s bad for business.”
Jordan Person of NORML wanted to remind employers that testing for marijuana isn’t mandatory – they do have the choice to omit it if they wish.
Denver NORML is in the process of working with businesses offering performance impairment testing for employees that are suspected of using a substance on-the-job. The testing would also determine if use occurred several days ago or that day.
more recommended stories
- Sanders Announces Funds for Vermont’s Community Health Centers
BURLINGTON, Vt., Aug. 17 U.S. Sen..
- NFL Blackout – Time To Take A Stand #BlackOut
In 2016, San Francisco 49er quarterback,.
- Report: FDA Asking Patients To Provide CBD Feedback
Finally, the FDA is asking people.
- Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- North Carolina Green Party Supports Durham Protesters, Removal Of Confederate Monuments
The North Carolina Green Party.
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Seniors Are the Fastest Growing Group of Marijuana Users
By Joseph Misulonas | Aug 14,.
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.