Maybe Palo Alto won’t in fact become the center of the automotive tech universe after all.
Google announced Wednesday morning that it is establishing an autonomous driving technology development center in Novi, Michigan.
The center, which will be located in the greater Detroit area, will make recent collaborations — like that with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) — easier.
At the 53,000 square-foot facility, Google engineers will work with local partners to develop and refine autonomous tech. The team’s first job will be to develop the sensors and software for the 100 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivans acquired as a part of the FCA deal.
The tech giant hopes to have at least a few of the 100 autonomous minivans completed by the end of this year. Once the fleet is fully assembled completed, it will virtually double Google’s self-driving convoy.
Google’s 53,000-square-foot self-driving tech development center in Novi, Michigan.
Although Google is publicly partnered with only FCA at the moment, this newly founded center likely indicates it is interested in partnering with hometown carmakers Ford and GM as well. Or, at least, Google aims to get under their skin by rolling some of its autonomous cars past their headquarters.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
more recommended stories
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- 96-Year-Old Convicted Nazi Declared Fit For Prison
A former Nazi SS guard.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Philippine Mayor Linked To Drugs, 14 Others Killed In Raids
Police in the southern Philippines said they fatally.
- Act Now; To Help Protect Trafficking Victims, UN Urges On World Day Against The Scourge
30 July 2017 Criminal groups feed.
- Switzerland Supermarkets to Begin Selling CBD Joints
Swiss tobacco producer, Heimat, branched out.
- Top US Diplomat To Return To Qatar For Talks Eith Emir
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
- Social Media Site Reveals 300 Anonymous Users Personal Info To Revenge Porn Victim
By Eric Lieberman A social media.