In March 1944, deep in the Jim Crow South, police came for 14-year-old George Stinney Jr. His parents weren’t at home. His little sister was hiding in the family’s chicken coop behind the house in Alcolu, a segregated mill town in South Carolina, while officers handcuffed George and his older brother, Johnnie, and took them away.
Two young white girls had been found brutally murdered, beaten over the head with a railroad spike and dumped in a water-logged ditch. He and his little sister, who were black, were said to be last ones to see them alive. Authorities later released the older Stinney – and directed their attention toward George.
“[The police] were looking for someone to blame it on, so they used my brother as a scapegoat,” his sister Amie Ruffner told WLTX-TV earlier this year.
George Junius Stinney Jr. was, at age 14, the youngest person executed in the United States in the 20th century (1944)
The boy was small for his age (5’1) so small, they had to stack books on the electric chair. The photos at the end are George. (compare little George in this actual photo to the two white guys wearing hats http://tinyurl.com/lwo4g49 )
Because there was literally NO EVIDENCE AGAINST HIM (accused of murdering two white girls) …the question of Stinney’s guilt and the judicial process leading to his execution remained controversial
This clip is from the 1991 movie “Carolina Skeletons” which is based on that event.
more recommended stories
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Becomes First State Court to Find Employers Must Accommodate Use of Medical Marijuana
As the number of states legalizing.
- Are sex offender registries reinforcing inequality?
Public sex offender registries are at.
- What Happens After Prison,,,
- Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio Guilty Of Criminal Contempt
Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s own words.
- Court Rules Against Politician Who Banned Access to Her Facebook Page
Facebook page of Virginia county politician.
- Reviving The War On Drugs Will Further Harm Police-Community Relations
The United States has been waging.
- President Trump’s Transgender Military Ban Is an Affront to the Core Tenets of the US Military
This morning, on the 69th anniversary.
- Betsy DeVos’s Due Process
The Left Is Outraged That She.
- Massachusetts Medical Marijuana Patient Can Sue Employer for Discrimination
On Monday, July 17, 2017, Massachusetts.