Uruguay was the first country in the world to completely legalize weed nearly four years ago under former President José Mujica, who was in many ways the law’s architect.
Now, Uruguay will become the first country in the world to legally sell cannabis over the counter in pharmacies.
Having legalized cultivation, distribution and consumption in 2013, this is the first authorization for pharmacies.
“Cannabis will be dispensed in pharmacies starting in the month of July,” president of the National Drug Board, Juan Andres Roballo, told a press conference Thursday.
Under the law, MMJ patients must sign up for a national registry and cannot exceed the monthly maximum purchase of 40 grams, to be set at $1.30 per gram by Uruguay’s National Drugs Council, which added it will is only be available to Uruguayan citizens or permanent residents.
Vendors can only sell MMJ in five-gram containers, although 10-gram containers are expected to be introduced later.
The Uruguayan government said it has made a deal with 16 drugstore chains to sell the product.
The marijuana will come from state-supervised fields, with the plants grown under the eye of licensed producers.
The government hopes the state-grown pot will “guarantee the quality and the purity of the product” citizens consume, Roballo said.
You can keep up with all of HIGH TIMES’ marijuana news right here.
more recommended stories
- Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization celebrates a decade of legal accomplishments (censored)
For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization.
- Online Sportsbook Tempts Bettors With More Options For Mayweather-McGregor Super Fight
San Jose, Costa Rica: Today,.
- Comedian, civil rights activist Dick Gregory dies at 84
Reuters on Sun, Aug 20th, 2017.
- NFL Blackout – Time To Take A Stand #BlackOut
In 2016, San Francisco 49er quarterback,.
- Report: FDA Asking Patients To Provide CBD Feedback
Finally, the FDA is asking people.
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Seniors Are the Fastest Growing Group of Marijuana Users
By Joseph Misulonas | Aug 14,.
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.