Equifax says it knows what caused the data breach that put 143 million Americans personal information at risk.
And it looks like the company could have saved itself a lot of trouble if it just kept its systems updated.
The company confirmed Thursday that hackers exploited weaknesses in software made by the open-source Apache Software Foundation; specifically, the Apache Struts web framework. But, Apache says it’s not at fault it fixed the flaw months before the hack.
Apache issued a patch to fix the vulnerability on March 7. Equifax says the breach occurred in mid-May.
Thursday, Apache released a statement on its website, saying, “The Equifax data compromise was due to their failure to install the security updates provided in a timely manner.”
Now, the company’s problems are mounting.
The Federal Trade Commission announced Thursday it’s investigating the breach. Multiple states, as well as the FBI, have also reportedly opened investigations.
And Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer demanded Equifax’s leadership testify before the Senate and enact a slew of consumer protection measures, or else step down. Equifax’s CEO is already set to testify before the House on Oct. 3.
And Equifax stock has taken a hit, too most likely due to a loss of public trust.
more recommended stories
- Master the Product Launch with These 5 Steps
You can have the most.
- Cannabis Science Inc (OTCMKTS:CBIS): A Candidate For Short-Term Gains
In our previous review of Cannabis.
- Education vs. Experience: Which One Is More Important?
https://assets.entrepreneur.com/content/16x9/1300/20160927052319-shutterstock-261534164.jpeg As we hit ‘back to.
- 10 Tips to Motivate Employees Without Resorting to Money
https://assets.entrepreneur.com/content/16x9/1300/20170911194158-GettyImages-815528346.jpeg Are you looking for ways.
- What Is Blockchain and How Will it Revolutionize Social Media for Small Businesses?
Our world is experiencing a social.
- 10 Tips for Building a Customer Focused Business
Customer is King has become.
- 50 Small Business Ideas for the Homebody
Want to start a business.
- Trump Administration Cancels Oppressive Obama Employment Regulations
This is one of many similar.
- Robots Won’t Steal Our Jobs if We Put Workers at Center of AI Revolution
Future robots will work side.
- Facebook Debuts Its Virtual Reality Dating Show
Facebook’s new video platform Watch‘ debuted something.