Almost every major news outlet has covered the drug crisis crippling Americans across the country. However, until now, few have properly placed it in historical context.
Drug overdose is now the leading cause of death for Americans under the age of 50. It has killed more people in 2016 than AIDS, guns, or car crashes during any given year, reported The New York Times.
Estimates state that between 59,000 and 65,000 people died in 2016 from drug overdoses, which is about a 20 percent increase from the year before.
States including Maine, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Ohio saw the largest increases.
The epidemic is affecting blue and red territory alike. No place is safe. Ohio counties that voted for Trump like Montgomery and Warren have seen the number of overdoses increase more than eight-fold since 2010. Similarly, Clinton counties including Cuyahoga and Hamilton have seen drug related deaths spike by more than 300 percent during the same time period.
It’s not just heroin, addiction to fentanyl has provided people with a cheap substitute for getting high. Some people have even turned to the elephant tranquilizer Carfentanil which is 5,000 times as strong as heroin and much more deadly.
Even high-income cities like San Francisco have seen a spike and poorer cities like Philadelphia are at record levels.
Estimates are that two million people are addicted to opioids and 95 million are using prescription painkillers. That’s more than the number of people who smoke cigarettes.
According to the Kaiser Foundation, the number of 25-34-year-olds who die of opioid addiction has more than tripled since 2005 to 2015. It’s also the age group with the highest number of deaths with 8,568 in 2015 alone.
The states with the highest number of millennial drug deaths were Florida, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.
If President Trump isn’t able to remedy the situation quickly, the millennials may soon become the lost generation.
Source: Red Alert Politics
more recommended stories
- Seniors Are the Fastest Growing Group of Marijuana Users
By Joseph Misulonas | Aug 14,.
- Energy Drinks And Risk To Future Substance Use
Science Spotlight August 08, 2017 ©iStock/Mauro-Matacchione.
- Strokes And Children – The Top Ten Killer You Rarely Read About
Sideria Hendricks is only 10 years.
- 25 Investigates: Troubled rehab programs get stamp of approval
by: Eric Rasmussen Updated: Jul 12,.
- Is Defending the ACA Even a Real Message Anymore?
Linda Valdez: Raul Grijalva’s health-care town.
- Study: Regular Marijuana Use Keeps People Thin, Fit and Active
Oregon Health and Science University researchers.
- National Cancer Institute: 90% of population unaware that alcohol causes cancer
Is it really that surprising that.
- Women Veterans: Help for Postpartum Depression
Postpartum Depression Affects One-in-Seven New Mothers.
- Stop TV and Other Ads Fraudulently Claiming that Psychiatric Disorders are Caused by a Brain Chemical Imbalance
Bulldozer Health, Inc. After huge government.
- Probiotics: Believe It Or Not, Your Body Plays Host To Trillions Of Bacteria And Yeasts.
http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/05270efb096ee5e48ff7e5aed1a417e6?s=96&d=identicon&r=GProbiotic Supplements If you read the.