Dr Macharia Kiruhi, a surgeon and the Executive Director of Outspan Hospital BY JOSEPH MUCHIRI/STANDARD
A medic has raised the alarm over the increase of lifestyle diseases in Central and Nairobi.
Outspan Hospital Executive Director Macharia Kiruhi said there was an increase in patients diagnosed with arthritis, high blood pressure, diabetes and heart conditions in the region.
Dr Kiruhi, who is also a surgeon, attributed the diseases to consumption of junk, processed and refined foods, lack of exercise and stress at home and in the work place.
“Cases of patients suffering from these lifestyle diseases are on the rise and could be linked to their sedentary lifestyles, chemicals in refined foods and consumption of food with unwanted fats. Many people are stressed due to the high cost of living coupled with expensive education, while many no longer seek solace from churches unlike before,” he said.
Speaking during a free medical camp and the official launch of Outspan Hospital, Embu branch on Saturday, the doctor advised Kenyans to revert to traditional vegetables and tubers such as sweet potatoes and arrow roots, cereals and legumes, and eat meat and drink alcohol in moderation.
Kiruhi said many patients turn up at the hospital complaining of back ache and joint pain, with most being diagnosed with arthritis. He added that cold temperatures and hard labour could be the cause of arthritis.
more recommended stories
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Seven Sundays LLC. Recalls Vanilla Cherry Pecan Muesli Because of Possible Health Risk
Seven Sundays LLC of Minneapolis, MN.
- Current Marijuana Laws In Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- Millennial Parents and Their Kids Love Smart Speakers, but Data Privacy Issues Persist
http://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/voice-family-parents-PAGE-2017-652x367.jpg | 11 hours ago Google.
- 10 surprising spaces in California being converted into cannabis businesses
Published: Aug 15, 2017, 3:40 pm.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Becomes First State Court to Find Employers Must Accommodate Use of Medical Marijuana
As the number of states legalizing.
- Dierbergs Markets Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Fish (Bonito and Cod), Lobster, Crab, Shrimp, Soy and Wheat in Product
St Louis-based Dierbergs Markets is recalling.
- Litehouse Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Egg In Product
Litehouse Inc. is voluntarily recalling a.
- Estimating Appliance and Home Electronic Energy Use
Our appliance and electronic energy use.