By Alexa Archambault
This year’s Congressional Baseball Game is expected to raise over $1 million following a shooting that targeted Republican lawmakers Wednesday morning.
The 2016 game raised over $500,000 and 2017’s event was expected to raise around $650,000 before the attack, according to Roll Call. Those projections quickly increased as tickets to the event sold at a rate of 500 per hour Thursday morning. More than 18,000 were sold before noon.
The baseball game does not provide any funding to Congress, but rather charities in the D.C. area, such as the Washington Literacy Foundation, an organization that teaches adults how to read, and the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Washington, which function as safe havens for struggling youth in the area. The Washington Nationals team also donates money to its Dream Foundation for underprivileged children.
Shortly after the shooting, the Congressional Baseball Game organizers announced that proceeds will also be directed toward the Capitol Police Memorial Fund.
Follow Alexa Archambault on Twitter.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact [email protected]
WATCH TLR’S LATEST VIDEO:
more recommended stories
- Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization celebrates a decade of legal accomplishments (censored)
For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization.
- Online Sportsbook Tempts Bettors With More Options For Mayweather-McGregor Super Fight
San Jose, Costa Rica: Today,.
- Comedian, civil rights activist Dick Gregory dies at 84
Reuters on Sun, Aug 20th, 2017.
- Dashcam Video Shows Cops Searching Woman’s Vagina For 11 Minutes, Lawyer Says
The attorney says it amounts to.
- NFL Blackout – Time To Take A Stand #BlackOut
In 2016, San Francisco 49er quarterback,.
- 6 Police Officers Shot in Florida and Pennsylvania, 1 Killed and 5 Wounded
Six police officers were shot, one.
- Report: FDA Asking Patients To Provide CBD Feedback
Finally, the FDA is asking people.
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..