Developmental psychologist Richard Weissbourd, the co-director of Making Caring Common and a senior lecturer at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, offers advice on setting the kind of classroom norms that can create a respectful environment for rich conversations about even the most challenging topics.
“It’s very important that we elicit multiple views and honor free speech, but also protect human rights,” Weissbourd says. “It’s important that we tell kids to appreciate the complexity of others people, as they appreciate their own complexity.
- Learn to do a Circle of Concern [PDF] activity.
- Get a comprehensive bullying-prevention overview [PDF] from Making Caring Common.
We Want to Hear from You
Our country is polarized: How is that showing up in your school? What are you doing to protect students, confront discrimination, prevent bullying, and foster inclusion? Usable Knowledge would like to hear from you. Join us on Facebook and Twitter, using #OneAllHGSE. Send your advice and resources to [email protected], and we’ll share as much as we can. Read more at One and All.
Source: Harvard Graduate School
more recommended stories
- High school teachers become students for a week to learn about radar systems
http://news.mit.edu/sites/mit.edu.newsoffice/files/styles/article_cover_image_original/public/images/2017/Brunner-LLRISE-Teachers-MIT-Lincoln-Lab-2017.jpeg From July 9 to 22,.
- Princeton To Re-Educate It’s Male Students
Princeton University is looking to hire.
- Betsy DeVos’s Due Process
The Left Is Outraged That She.
- Betsy DeVos Sued Over Rule Banning Students From Suing Higher Ed Institutions
Since day one, Secretary DeVos has.
- Harvard Students’ Ouster Over Offensive Posts Stirs Debate
FILE – In this March 7,.
- To the Governor: New Hampshire Passes Bill Allowing Local Common Core Opt Out
CONCORD, N.H. (June 16, 2017) â€“Today,.
- An alternative to college: Ivanka unveils plans for ‘vocational, skill-based education’
(AP Photo/Evan Vucci) On Monday, Ivanka.
- Is College Worth It? Increasing Numbers Say No
(AP Photo/The Express-Times, Matt Smith) by.
- Another college stops students from passing out U.S. Constitutions
(via YAL) On Tuesday, the Alliance.
- Baker-Polito Administration and City of Boston Announce Historic Tuition-Free College Program
BOSTON – Governor Charlie Baker and Mayor Martin.