After Pirates of the Caribbean star Johnny Depp joked about assassinating President Trump on Thursday, the White House responded and called for the rest of Hollywood to condemn such incendiary comments.
President Trump has condemned violence in all forms and it’s sad that others like Johnny Depp have not followed his lead, the White House said in a statement sent to news organizations. â€œI hope that some of Mr. Depp’s colleagues will speak out against this type of rhetoric as strongly as they would if his comments were directed to a Democrat elected official.
The Secret Service also said Friday in a statement that they were aware of the comments” but could not officially confirm whether they were investigating the 54-year-old actor.
Thus far, celebrities have been silent, essentially, about Deppâ€™s words. While the actor apologized, his mea culpa seemed as hollow as the apology from comedian Kathy Griffin â€“ who infamously held up the likeness of Trumpâ€™s decapitated head in a photo shoot not long ago â€“ especially since he admitted before the Thursday crowd that his comments would land him “in the press.”
Singer Joy Villa expressed disappointment on Twitter about Depp’s remarks, calling him a “former crush” and saying the president’s assassination is not a “joke.”
“Judge Judy” starÂ Judy Sheindlin also said Depp’s words were in “not good taste” to TMZ.
One A-lister also called out Depp early â€” and the identity of this individual wasn’t much of a surprise.
Actor James Woods has been an outspoken conservative for the past few years and a supporter of Donald Trump since he was elected to the presidency. Woods commented before in 2013 that his openness about his politics had cost him jobs in Hollywood and would likely keep him from having the professional career he once had â€” which included acting for such acclaimed directors as Martin Scorsese and John Carpenter.
Woodsâ€™ last major role was a six-episode run on the Showtime drama â€œRay Donovan,â€� which was in 2013. Since then, heâ€™s done some voice work and a low-budget film called â€œJamesy Boy.â€�
more recommended stories
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Seven Sundays LLC. Recalls Vanilla Cherry Pecan Muesli Because of Possible Health Risk
Seven Sundays LLC of Minneapolis, MN.
- Current Marijuana Laws In Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- Millennial Parents and Their Kids Love Smart Speakers, but Data Privacy Issues Persist
http://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/voice-family-parents-PAGE-2017-652x367.jpg | 11 hours ago Google.
- 10 surprising spaces in California being converted into cannabis businesses
Published: Aug 15, 2017, 3:40 pm.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Becomes First State Court to Find Employers Must Accommodate Use of Medical Marijuana
As the number of states legalizing.
- Dierbergs Markets Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Fish (Bonito and Cod), Lobster, Crab, Shrimp, Soy and Wheat in Product
St Louis-based Dierbergs Markets is recalling.
- Litehouse Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Egg In Product
Litehouse Inc. is voluntarily recalling a.
- Estimating Appliance and Home Electronic Energy Use
Our appliance and electronic energy use.