Canada’s federally licensed medical marijuana cultivation companies have raised roughly 700 million Canadian dollars ($524 million) in the past six months, according to canna-centric analysis firm Canaccord Genuity.
The investment frenzy started in the third quarter of 2016 when investors injected more than CA$150 million ($112 million) into publicly traded and privately held Canadian MMJ growers, the Canaccord report said, according to the Calgary Herald. But that amount more than doubled in the final three months of the year to more than CA$350 million ($262 million), while this year’s first quarter, which ends March 31, has seen close to CA$350 million in investments.
That’s a big jump from earlier investment action. Between the second quarter of 2014, when Canaccord started tracking Canadian MMJ cultivation companies, and the third quarter of 2016, investors put less than CA$200 million ($150 million) into these firms.
What explains the boom?
“As most (producers) eye aggressive expansion plans to address the anticipated recreational market, investors are stepping up to fund this growth,” Canaccord analysts wrote in their report, according to the Calgary Herald.
The increased investor interest was also spurred by the momentum generated in the U.S. when voters in seven states legalized recreational and medical marijuana last November.
more recommended stories
- Report: FDA Asking Patients To Provide CBD Feedback
Finally, the FDA is asking people.
- Seniors Are the Fastest Growing Group of Marijuana Users
By Joseph Misulonas | Aug 14,.
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- 10 surprising spaces in California being converted into cannabis businesses
Published: Aug 15, 2017, 3:40 pm.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Becomes First State Court to Find Employers Must Accommodate Use of Medical Marijuana
As the number of states legalizing.
- A Plea From Texas to Willie Nelson: Your Influence Is Needed In Fight To Legalize Marijuana
By Neal Pollack, The Cannabist Staff.
- Missouri Sues Three Big Pharma Companies For “Campaign Of Fraud And Deception”
Published: Jun 23, 2017, 3:22 pm.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson on Marijuana: “There’s No Reason For It to Have Ever Been Made Illegal”
By Sydney Robinson – August 8, 2017 Share.
- 11-Year-Old Sues Federal Government To Legalize Medical Marijuana
An 11-year-old girl from Rowlett is.