The Iipay Nation in San Diego County has transformed a failed 35,000-square-foot casino into a high-tech medical marijuana cultivation site and is leasing some of the space to growers who can sell product to legal dispensaries throughout California.
The operation currently consists of two grow rooms with fewer than 1,000 plants. But more than a dozen greenhouses on the tribal property are in various stages of construction, the Los Angeles Times reported. A spokesman said the tribe has no intention of getting into recreational cannabis cultivation.
The 700-member tribe started working on medical cannabis soon after its casino failed in early 2014 and the federal government issued a memo declaring it wouldn’t prosecute sovereign Native American nations for cultivating medical cannabis in states with legal MMJ programs, according to the Times.
The casino was saddled with $50 million in debt.
In 2015, the tribe started establishing regulations and created the Santa Ysabel Cannabis Regulatory Agency and Cannabis Commission.
The head of the regulatory commission told the newspaper the tribe has been shipping cannabis to dispensaries across the state for about 18 months, but declined to identify the growers.
The tribe is the first in sprawling San Diego County to try medical marijuana cultivation. The San Diego County Sheriff and local district attorney indicated they don’t have jurisdiction in the tribal lands where the grow is located.
more recommended stories
- Ancient Earth’s Hot Interior Created Graveyard Of Continental Slabs
http://news.mit.edu/sites/mit.edu.newsoffice/files/styles/article_cover_image_original/public/images/2017/MIT-Sinking-Slabs-1.jpg Plate tectonics has shaped the.
- For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization celebrates a decade of legal accomplishments (censored)
For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization.
- Online Sportsbook Tempts Bettors With More Options For Mayweather-McGregor Super Fight
San Jose, Costa Rica: Today,.
- Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- Comedian, civil rights activist Dick Gregory dies at 84
Reuters on Sun, Aug 20th, 2017.
- NFL Blackout – Time To Take A Stand #BlackOut
In 2016, San Francisco 49er quarterback,.
- Report: FDA Asking Patients To Provide CBD Feedback
Finally, the FDA is asking people.
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Seniors Are the Fastest Growing Group of Marijuana Users
By Joseph Misulonas | Aug 14,.