On Tuesday afternoon, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer announced that FBI Director James Comey had been fired.
In the press release, Spicer announced that Comey had been fired by President Trump and that he acted “based on the clear recommendations of both Deputy Attorney General Rod Resenstein and Attorney General Jeff Sessions.”
Spicer said that the search for a new FBI director would begin immediately, naming no possible candidates.
comey…….. my boy…….. pic.twitter.com/D4kYGl1YXt
— Ashley Feinberg (@ashleyfeinberg) May 9, 2017
The letter Trump sent to Comey was also released on Tuesday afternoon in which he informs the now-fired director that he would be removed. Trump said that comey was “not able to effectively lead the Bureau,” and that he wished him the “best of luck” in his future.
FBI Director Comey has been “terminated and removed from office.” pic.twitter.com/z2or0M6oJB
— Philip Crowther (@PhilipinDC) May 9, 2017
Neither Spicer nor Trump gave a reason for Comey’s termination besides saying that it was on the recommendation of his colleagues. Senior FBI officials say that no one was aware the termination of Comey was incoming and that they are “in shock.”
Many are suggesting that Comey’s termination was a direct result of false testimony he made to a Senate subcommittee last week regarding Hillary Clinton’s email scandal, an error for which the FBI has been forced to apologize.
Now, we await to see who is selected to replace Trump and what effect it will have on ongoing FBI investigations.
Source: Ring Of Fire
more recommended stories
- Dick Gregory In His Own Words: Remembering the Pioneering Comedian and Civil Rights Activist
This is a rush transcript. Copy.
- Headlines for August 21, 2017
Massive protests against white supremacy spread.
- Sanders Announces Funds for Vermont’s Community Health Centers
BURLINGTON, Vt., Aug. 17 U.S. Sen..
- 6 Police Officers Shot in Florida and Pennsylvania, 1 Killed and 5 Wounded
Six police officers were shot, one.
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- Domestic Terrorist: James Alex Fields Jr. Identified As Driver In Charlottesville Attack
James Alex Fields Jr. has been.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Bernie Sanders Tells Big Pharma: Stop Making Americans Pay Twice
While both political parties have denounced.