In 2016 Bitcoin rose 125 percent in value, and it started 2017 by topping the $1,000 mark for the first time in three years. After reaching a high of $1,153.02, the crypto currency once again showed its volatility by dropping $200 on January 5 in just one hour. It currently stands at $970.18 as of this posting.
Just in case you don’t know what Bitcoin is, it is a form of digital currency that is created and held electronically. It is produced by people using software that solves mathematical problems. The value is based on supply and demand, so the more demand the higher its price, and accordingly, if there is no demand the price falls.
This is not the first time Bitcoin has gone through this type of volatility. In 2013 it experienced a tenfold increase in just two months and when one of the largest Bitcoin exchanges, Tokyo’s Mt. Gox was hacked it plummeted under $400. But it has been relatively stable since that incident.
Bitcoin is not the only cryptocurrency, but it is the most popular one. And as such, more people use it to carry out transaction online and in the real world. Its popularity has resulted in many retailers accepting the currency for payment, with some banks even providing ATMs with Bitcoin capabilities.
What’s the Impact of Bitcoin Value on Small Businesses?
One thing to understand about Bitcoins for a small business is, the volatility in its value will not affect your bottom line. Only if you are using Bitcoins as an investment vehicle will you be subject to the ups and downs.
However, if you want to start accepting Bitcoins in your coffee shop, it will be just another payment system. But it does have some benefits in that you will not have to pay the 2-3 percent credit card fees.
Bitcoin Photo via Shutterstock
more recommended stories
- Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Millennial Parents and Their Kids Love Smart Speakers, but Data Privacy Issues Persist
http://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/voice-family-parents-PAGE-2017-652x367.jpg | 11 hours ago Google.
- 10 surprising spaces in California being converted into cannabis businesses
Published: Aug 15, 2017, 3:40 pm.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Becomes First State Court to Find Employers Must Accommodate Use of Medical Marijuana
As the number of states legalizing.
- Estimating Appliance and Home Electronic Energy Use
Our appliance and electronic energy use.
- CCTV footage Shows Deputies Torturing Young Man with Taser in Ashland City
CHEATHAM COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – A.
- Volunteers Sought For Reading Of The Names At The Vietnam Memorial On It’s 35th Anniversary.
When the Vietnam Veterans Memorial was.
- A Plea From Texas to Willie Nelson: Your Influence Is Needed In Fight To Legalize Marijuana
By Neal Pollack, The Cannabist Staff.