A stunning 70 percent of all antibiotics important in human medicine in the U.S. are sold for use in animal agriculture. These lifesaving drugs are fed routinely to animals that are not sick in order to promote growth and prevent diseases that spread easily in crowded, filthy factory farm conditions. Public health agencies have declared antibiotic resistance a top health threat in the U.S. — and the rampant misuse of antibiotics in livestock production is a major cause.
Chain Reaction II is the second annual report and scorecard that grades America’s top restaurant chains’ on their policies and practices regarding antibiotics use and transparency in their meat and poultry supply chains. Read the first Chain Reaction report here.
The good news is that consumer and investor pressure has pushed twice as many companies as last year to create more responsible antibiotics policies, particularly for chicken. The bad news is that Olive Garden, KFC and 14 other chains received F grades and little progress has been made on pork and beef.
Friends of the Earth, Natural Resources Defense Council, Consumers Union, Food Animal Concerns Trust, Keep Antibiotics Working, and Center for Food Safety all contributed to research and writing for the Chain Reaction II report. Based on surveys from the companies and publicly available information, we created an industry scorecard that assesses company policies on antibiotics use, implementation of these policies as reflected in current meat and poultry purchasing, and transparency about antibiotics use. See Appendix 1 in the report for our survey methodology and questions.
Source: Friends of the Earth
more recommended stories
- Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization celebrates a decade of legal accomplishments (censored)
For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization.
- Online Sportsbook Tempts Bettors With More Options For Mayweather-McGregor Super Fight
San Jose, Costa Rica: Today,.
- Comedian, civil rights activist Dick Gregory dies at 84
Reuters on Sun, Aug 20th, 2017.
- NFL Blackout – Time To Take A Stand #BlackOut
In 2016, San Francisco 49er quarterback,.
- Report: FDA Asking Patients To Provide CBD Feedback
Finally, the FDA is asking people.
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Seniors Are the Fastest Growing Group of Marijuana Users
By Joseph Misulonas | Aug 14,.
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.