NEW YORK (AP) — Amazon, the internet AMZN, +0.09% Goliath that revolutionized the way much of the world shops for books, toilet paper and TVs, hit a new milestone Tuesday. Its stock surpassed the $1,000 mark for the first time.
That price put Amazon’s market value at about $478 billion, double that of the world’s biggest traditional retailer, Wal-Mart, and more than 15 times the size of Target.
Not only has Amazon changed the retail landscape since it became a public company 20 years ago, it’s now part of a small cadre of high-flying stocks belonging to companies that have defied Wall Street and shunned stock splits.
Those splits make the stock more affordable and generate brokerage fees. But companies like Amazon have chosen to reward its long-term investors.
The last time Amazon has split its stock was nearly 18 years ago, according to financial research firm FactSet.
Another company with a similar philosophy is Alphabet Inc., the parent company of Google.
Amazon just beat Alphabet to the $1,000 level, with its Class A shares just $2 short of $1,000 Tuesday.
Four other U.S.-listed companies have shares trading at similar levels: online travel booking company Priceline Group Inc., homebuilder NVR Inc., pork producer and ocean transportation company Seaboard Corp. and the apostle of long-term investing, Warren Buffett, with his holding company Berkshire Hathaway Inc.
Since launching a website to sell mostly books in 1995, Amazon has transfigured retail, sent revenue numbers to stratospheric heights, and is among the biggest reasons longtime powerhouses like Macy’s, Borders bookstores and even RadioShack have suffered.
Those companies are closing locations and Amazon is filling the void, sometimes literally.
Last week in a location once occupied by Borders, which went out of business in 2011, Amazon opened its first store in New York City.
more recommended stories
- Sanders Announces Funds for Vermont’s Community Health Centers
BURLINGTON, Vt., Aug. 17 U.S. Sen..
- NFL Blackout – Time To Take A Stand #BlackOut
In 2016, San Francisco 49er quarterback,.
- Report: FDA Asking Patients To Provide CBD Feedback
Finally, the FDA is asking people.
- Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- North Carolina Green Party Supports Durham Protesters, Removal Of Confederate Monuments
The North Carolina Green Party.
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Millennial Parents and Their Kids Love Smart Speakers, but Data Privacy Issues Persist
http://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/voice-family-parents-PAGE-2017-652x367.jpg | 11 hours ago Google.
- 10 surprising spaces in California being converted into cannabis businesses
Published: Aug 15, 2017, 3:40 pm.