Amazon(NASDAQ:AMZN) just announced plans to purchase Whole Foods (NASDAQ:WFM). The deal, valued at about $13.7 billion, also offers a few potential lessons for small businesses.
Whole Foods, which broke onto the scene offering stores full or organic food options, has struggled and faced pressure from advisors to sell or merge with another company. Amazon, a company that has broken into seemingly every market out there through acquisition or expansion, seems like a perfect fit.
Now, itâ€™s unlikely that small businesses will be involved in many deals of this magnitude. But you can still learn from what Whole Foods and Amazon accomplished and from the challenges they face.
For its part, Whole Foods was able to disrupt the grocery industry with a unique concept. But as the years passed and more competitors broke into the space, it failed to adapt quickly enough to keep profits high. Amazon, on the other hand, started as an online bookstore and then proceeded to evolve quickly, breaking into new markets ranging from music streaming to grocery delivery.
The Importance of Continuous Innovation
Both brands were based onÂ innovativeÂ concepts when they began. But only one company was able to keep up with the times enough to remain profitable. That doesnâ€™t mean your small business has to break into every industry under the sun. But it can be beneficial to keep an eye on new trends and opportunities so that you donâ€™t let your business fall into complacency and be swallowed up by a sea of competitors who are willing to adapt to thrive.
Whole Foods Photo via Shutterstock
This article, “Amazon Buying Whole Foods? What Small Businesses Can Learn” was first published on Small Business Trends
more recommended stories
- Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization celebrates a decade of legal accomplishments (censored)
For its 10th anniversary, GoTopless organization.
- Online Sportsbook Tempts Bettors With More Options For Mayweather-McGregor Super Fight
San Jose, Costa Rica: Today,.
- Comedian, civil rights activist Dick Gregory dies at 84
Reuters on Sun, Aug 20th, 2017.
- NFL Blackout – Time To Take A Stand #BlackOut
In 2016, San Francisco 49er quarterback,.
- Report: FDA Asking Patients To Provide CBD Feedback
Finally, the FDA is asking people.
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- The Misguided Attacks on ACLU for Defending Neo-Nazis’ Free Speech Rights in Charlottesville
Glenn Greenwald August 13 2017, 10:37 a.m..
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Millennial Parents and Their Kids Love Smart Speakers, but Data Privacy Issues Persist
http://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/voice-family-parents-PAGE-2017-652x367.jpg | 11 hours ago Google.