A former Nazi SS guard known as the “Bookkeeper of Auschwitz,” now 96, is fit to serve out his sentence, German prosecutors said Wednesday.
Oskar Groening was found guilty in July 2015 of being an accessory to the murders of 300,000 people at the camp and sentenced to four years in prison.
“The prosecutor has rejected the application from the defense for a sentence suspension,” court spokeswoman Kathrin Soefker told AFP, confirming local media reports.
A summons for the start of the sentence has not been issued, she said, adding that the prosecutor will make a decision separately on this.
Groening’s lawyer Hans Holtermann said he would appeal the decision as soon as possible, arguing that the doctor named by prosecutors had not done a proper examination.
Groening has been living at home despite his conviction, and due to his old age, it has been unclear if he would actually be jailed.
But a court doctor has now determined that he is able to serve his sentence, on condition he is given appropriate nursing and medical care while in detention, said the spokeswoman.
Groening worked as an accountant at Auschwitz, sorting and counting the money taken from those killed or used as slave labour, and shipping it back to his Nazi superiors in Berlin.
One million European Jews died between 1940 and 1945 at Auschwitz before it was liberated by Soviet forces.
Source: Times Of Israel
more recommended stories
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Philippine Mayor Linked To Drugs, 14 Others Killed In Raids
Police in the southern Philippines said they fatally.
- Act Now; To Help Protect Trafficking Victims, UN Urges On World Day Against The Scourge
30 July 2017 Criminal groups feed.
- Switzerland Supermarkets to Begin Selling CBD Joints
Swiss tobacco producer, Heimat, branched out.
- Top US Diplomat To Return To Qatar For Talks Eith Emir
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
- Social Media Site Reveals 300 Anonymous Users Personal Info To Revenge Porn Victim
By Eric Lieberman A social media.
- IS Attack Underscores Fragility Of Iraqi Security Forces
Iraqi Special Forces soldiers walk to.