UPDATE: The Guardian reports that “government officials have said there was one attacker and that he has been killed.”
Reuters, CNN, the Associated Press, and other news outlets are reporting that 35 people have been murdered and 40 others wounded at a nightclub in Istanbul, Turkey. The attack was executed in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Video: Dozens killed in Istanbul terror attack
The region’s provincial governor Vasip Sahin has described the mass murder as “a terror attack” which targeted people celebrating the new year.
Initial reports claim the attack was carried out by one man who has not yet been identified.
The attacker shot a police officer and a civilian before entering the Reina nightclub, within which he opened fire on its patrons.
“A terrorist with a long-range weapon… brutally and savagely carried out this incident by firing bullets on innocent people who were there solely to celebrate the New Year and have fun,” Sahin told reporters at the scene.
Reuters reported that 500-600 people were believed to be in the nightclub when the attack began around 1:15 AM local time (7:30 PM ET).
Turkish special force police officers and ambulances are seen at the site of an armed attack January 1, 2017 in Istanbul. At least two people were killed in an armed attack Saturday on an Istanbul nightclub where people were celebrating the New Year, Turkish television reports said.
more recommended stories
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- Domestic Terrorist: James Alex Fields Jr. Identified As Driver In Charlottesville Attack
James Alex Fields Jr. has been.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio Guilty Of Criminal Contempt
Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s own words.
- Maine Governor Begs Feds to “Bring the Hammer Down” on His Own State
Gov. Paul LePage is doing it.
- Philippine Mayor Linked To Drugs, 14 Others Killed In Raids
Police in the southern Philippines said they fatally.
- Act Now; To Help Protect Trafficking Victims, UN Urges On World Day Against The Scourge
30 July 2017 Criminal groups feed.
- John McCain Diagnosed With Aggressive Brain Cancer
LISTEN TO TLR’S LATEST PODCAST: By.
- I Know I Can Defeat Elizabeth Warren in 2018 Race: Shiva Ayyadurai
By Douglas Ernst – The Washington.