Bernie Sanders was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2006 after serving 16 years in the House of Representatives.
He is the longest serving independent member of Congress in American history.
Born in 1941 in Brooklyn, Bernie was the younger of two sons in a modest-income family.
After graduation from the University of Chicago in 1964, he moved to Vermont.
Early in his career, Sanders was director of the American People’s Historical Society.
Elected Mayor of Burlington by 10 votes in 1981, he served four terms.
Before his 1990 election as Vermont’s at-large member in Congress, Sanders lectured at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard and at Hamilton College in upstate New York.
Bernie Sanders is seeking the Democratic Party nomination for President of the United States.
more recommended stories
- Debate: As Trump Prolongs War in Afghanistan, Should U.S. Pull Out Troops Immediately?
In a prime-time address on Monday,.
- Predicting Trump Wonâ€™t Last Full Term, Alec Baldwin Speaks Out on Impersonating the President
This is a rush transcript. Copy.
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- Bernie Sanders Tells Big Pharma: Stop Making Americans Pay Twice
While both political parties have denounced.
- Civil Asset Forfeiture Is Not Policing The USA
In America you’re innocent until proven.
- Ethics Watchdog Files Complaint Against Wasserman Schultz
The Foundation for Accountability and Civic.
- Big-name union supporters speak out with vote less than two days away
CANTON, MS (Mississippi News Now) –.
- Maine Governor Begs Feds to “Bring the Hammer Down” on His Own State
Gov. Paul LePage is doing it.
- A Thank You Card For Bernie Sanders Was Signed By The Adoring Passengers On His Flight
On Friday, commuters on a.
- Senate Committee Votes to Continue Protections for Medical Marijuana States
A vote was taken at the.