In an art imitates life imitates art twist on the HBO show Veep, star actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus revealed to Ben Terris of the Washington Post on Sunday that she had been approached by “top Democrats” about considering a run for public office.
Of course, Louis-Dreyfus, who portrays Vice President and then President Selina Meyer (and famously played Elaine in Seinfeld), did not reveal who approached her, but just that it happened and she would never do it.
“Not in a million years, she said she told them,” Terris wrote.
Louis-Dreyfus would be a breath of fresh air to Democratic politics. The Democrats’ bench is thin, and they are desperate to beat Donald Trump in 2020. Celebrities have been too busy for the last few years pumping up Hillary Clinton’s flawed candidacy that they never thought to run for office themselves.
Celebrities would have a much easier time that most others running for political office. They already have the name recognition. From Ronald Reagan to Arnold Schwarzeneggar, Al Franken, and even Trump, Louis-Dreyfus could be the next big celebrity to make the jump to politics if she chose to. And if we learned anything from the last couple of years in the unpredictable and oftentimes bizarro world of politics, Veep is adequate training.
In addition to playing a politician, Louis-Dreyfus has some familiarity with policy. In 2007, she worked for the successful passage of Proposition O in California, which allocated $500 million to cleaning up the Los Angeles water supply.
When discussing her environmental activism, Louis-Dreyfus said, “I’ve been cautious in my activism, but one thing I’m wary about is putting myself out there as an expert. I can’t give you all the data on global warming. But it is a crisis.”
Louis-Dreyfus, who’s a known Democrat, supported Al Gore in 2000, Barack Obama in 2008 and 2012, and Hillary Clinton in 2016. During the Screen Actors Guild awards in January, she denounced President Trump’s travel ban saying, “My father fled religious persecution in Nazi- occupied France. I’m an American patriot, and I love this country. Because I love this country, I am horrified by its blemishes and this immigrant ban is a blemish and it’s un-American.”
So, what’s wrong with running for office, Julia? You could be one of the few Hollywood liberals who actually put their money where their mouth is and act. If anything, you can stop the rise of fascism coming from the left and right, especially if they own a soup restaurant.
Source: Red Alert Politics
more recommended stories
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Current Marijuana Laws In Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- Millennial Parents and Their Kids Love Smart Speakers, but Data Privacy Issues Persist
http://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/voice-family-parents-PAGE-2017-652x367.jpg | 11 hours ago Google.
- 10 surprising spaces in California being converted into cannabis businesses
Published: Aug 15, 2017, 3:40 pm.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Becomes First State Court to Find Employers Must Accommodate Use of Medical Marijuana
As the number of states legalizing.
- Dierbergs Markets Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Fish (Bonito and Cod), Lobster, Crab, Shrimp, Soy and Wheat in Product
St Louis-based Dierbergs Markets is recalling.
- Litehouse Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Egg In Product
Litehouse Inc. is voluntarily recalling a.
- Estimating Appliance and Home Electronic Energy Use
Our appliance and electronic energy use.
- CCTV footage Shows Deputies Torturing Young Man with Taser in Ashland City
CHEATHAM COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – A.
- Volunteers Sought For Reading Of The Names At The Vietnam Memorial On It’s 35th Anniversary.
When the Vietnam Veterans Memorial was.