Uber will soon be a lot better at finding your destination.
The ride hailing company has inked a new deal with Foursquare to use its location information to make Uber’s app better at finding the addresses of specific locations.
Under the new deal, Uber’s app will incorporate Foursquare’s Places data so that riders can find the addresses for exact locations by only typing in the restaurant or venue name.
“Foursquare will enable Uber to customize, improve and increase the breadth of our non-personal POI [points of interest] location data to enhance Uber’s rider and driver experience,” Foursquare wrote in a blog post. “Also, these modifications will also be incorporated into Foursquare’s venue database going forward.”
Exactly how much the deal is worth is unclear, but Foursquare described it as a “global, multi-year agreement.”
For Uber riders, the new partnership means the app will be a lot better at finding specific locations when you type in business or restaurant names. Right now, the app is able to find addresses for some locations, like airports and some restaurants, but isn’t always able to consistently find relevant addresses when you type in specific venues.
For Foursquare, the deal marks a significant milestone as it shifts to a more data-driven business model. The company, once known for its check-in app of the same name, has significantly changed its strategy over the last two years — first by removing check-ins from its flagship app in favor of a more Yelp-like service and then with a new CEO who has said he wants to refocus the business around Foursquare’s wealth of location data.
Many developers, including Pinterest, Microsoft and (at one time) Instagram, have leveraged Foursquare’s location data over the years. But the company’s new deal with Uber — one that allows Uber users to tweak Foursquare’s data — proves that a less consumer-focused Foursquare may be more viable after all.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
more recommended stories
- Most Memorable Pictures Of All Time
A couple kiss even as riot.
- Earthquake Demolishes Mexico City Buildings, 42 Confirmed Dead
USGS TIM PEARCE Energy Reporter At.
- After Seeing France’s Military Parade, Trump Wants An Even Bigger One
After seeing France’s military parade in.
- First Pictures Of Arrested Tube Bomb Suspect
These are the first pictures of.
- UN-Supported Campaign To Immunize 150,000 Rohingya Children Against Deadly Diseases
17 September 2017 As thousands of.
- Trafficked by United Nation of Islam, Woman Claims
Kansas City, Kan. (CN) At the.
- UNRefugee Agency Shocked By Killings In Eastern DR Congo
16 September 2017.
- Crude Bomb Explodes in London Underground, Injuring 22
(CN) At least 22 people were.
- 7 Live Sharks, 3 Dead Ones Found in Home’s Basement Pool
In this Aug. 23, 2017 photo.
- White House Orders Russia to Close San Francisco Consulate, Other Annexes
WASHINGTON (CN) The Trump administration on.