John William Ashe was the President of the United Nations General Assembly at its 68th session, which ran September 2013 to September 2014. He was also the ambassador to the United Nations for Antigua and Barbuda
John Ashe died Wednesday from “traumatic asphyxia with laryngeal cartilage fractures” after dropping a barbell on his neck, a rep for the Westchester County Medical Examiner’s office told the Daily News.
Ashe, 61, was working out on a bench in his Dobbs Ferry home when the deadly accident happened.
The weight of the barbell was unclear, and it was not immediately known if anyone was with Ashe at the time.
Dobbs Ferry police said they responded to a medical emergency call at Ashe’s home shortly before 5 p.m., and “the death appears accidental at this time.”
Ashe, a former U.N. General Assembly president, was busted by the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s last year for turning his post into a “platform for profit” by accepting more than $1 million in bribes.
The alleged conspiracy involves six others including a billionaire Chinese real estate mogul, two diplomats and a humanitarian organization officer.
Three defendants have pleaded guilty. Ashe was charged with tax fraud, but prosecutors had said at a hearing last month that they were weighing additional charges.
A former U.N. ambassador from Antigua and Barbuda, Ashe was president of the 193-nation assembly from September 2013 to September 2014.
Ashe is survived by his wife, Anilla Cherian, and two children. In a statement provided by Ashe’s lawyers on Thursday, his family said, “We will forever miss his gentle nature, calm spirit, and infectious smile.”
more recommended stories
- Top US Diplomat To Return To Qatar For Talks Eith Emir
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
- Social Media Site Reveals 300 Anonymous Users Personal Info To Revenge Porn Victim
By Eric Lieberman A social media.
- IS Attack Underscores Fragility Of Iraqi Security Forces
Iraqi Special Forces soldiers walk to.
- The Latest: S. Korean President Seeks Talks With Kim Jong Un
South Korea’s President Moon Jae-in and.
- German police clash with protesters before G-20 summit
A Police officer sprays a liquid.
- Leftists Riot In Hamburg and Caracas
Representatives of the G20 countries are.
- Iraqi Commander Says 300 IS Fighters Holed Up In Mosul
An Iraqi Special Forces soldier stands.
- Kim vows North Korea’s nukes are not on negotiation table
A man walks by a TV.
- North Korea Claims It Tested First Intercontinental Missile
This image made from video of.
- The Latest: Officer says Iraq troops faced 7 female bombers
Civilians flee through a destroyed alley.