The Weeknd and rapper Belly pulled out of a performance on Jimmy Kimmel Live! on Wednesday because they did not want to share the stage with Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump.
Rapper Belly, who co-wrote many of The Weeknd’s hits on Beauty Behind Madness, said in a statement: “I feel like the way I was raised was to be able to see through all the titles in this world from religion to race. I just didn’t want to feel like I was a part of a celebration for somebody who has beliefs that majority of us don’t agree with.
“For me, being Muslim and being somebody that appreciates my access here in America, I love the fact that I’m able to be here. To play my part in this business is a privilege and a beautiful thing. The fact that I could lose that ability through the actions of someone such as Donald Trump isn’t right to me. At all.”
The rapper was due to appear on Belly’s song “Might Not” on Kimmel’s show.
Trump has been criticised for his controversial comments on women, refugees, immigrants and Muslims. He called for a ban on Muslim immigration into the U.S.
Jimmy Kimmel Live! had no comment, a representative said. Representatives for The Weeknd didn’t immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
The Associated Press contributed reporting
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
more recommended stories
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- 96-Year-Old Convicted Nazi Declared Fit For Prison
A former Nazi SS guard.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Philippine Mayor Linked To Drugs, 14 Others Killed In Raids
Police in the southern Philippines said they fatally.
- Act Now; To Help Protect Trafficking Victims, UN Urges On World Day Against The Scourge
30 July 2017 Criminal groups feed.
- Switzerland Supermarkets to Begin Selling CBD Joints
Swiss tobacco producer, Heimat, branched out.
- Top US Diplomat To Return To Qatar For Talks Eith Emir
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
- Social Media Site Reveals 300 Anonymous Users Personal Info To Revenge Porn Victim
By Eric Lieberman A social media.
- IS Attack Underscores Fragility Of Iraqi Security Forces
Iraqi Special Forces soldiers walk to.