What’s the secret to going viral on the Internet? If you take a tip from an Australian teacher, it is to ask people nicely to share a handwritten note on Facebook.
Paula Beare, a mathematics teacher from Toowoomba, Queensland, posted a letter on Facebook Friday. She needed to talk to her students about cyber safety, and wanted help from the millions of people on the social media platform.
“Next week I need to present to the Year 9 students about cyber safety and I wish to see how far this message will go based on my account’s security settings,” she wrote. “Please help me by sharing this message as far as you can.”
Beare planned to track the number of likes and shares, with the aim of creating a mathematical model based on the results, to demonstrate “how far something can go from a small Facebook account.”
Fast forward to almost one week later, and Beare’s post has acquired more than 73,000 shares while also making its way around the world.
Beare wrote Wednesday that she had received more than 500 friend requests, with only three requests from people she knew. Mashable Australia reached out to Beare for comment but has not received a response.
“I have a great hook for my lesson today, thank you everyone for your assistance. When marking dies down I will pull the results into a paper,” she said.
It’s proof that Internet fame is only a few clicks of the share button away.
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
more recommended stories
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- 96-Year-Old Convicted Nazi Declared Fit For Prison
A former Nazi SS guard.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Philippine Mayor Linked To Drugs, 14 Others Killed In Raids
Police in the southern Philippines said they fatally.
- Act Now; To Help Protect Trafficking Victims, UN Urges On World Day Against The Scourge
30 July 2017 Criminal groups feed.
- Switzerland Supermarkets to Begin Selling CBD Joints
Swiss tobacco producer, Heimat, branched out.
- Top US Diplomat To Return To Qatar For Talks Eith Emir
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
- Social Media Site Reveals 300 Anonymous Users Personal Info To Revenge Porn Victim
By Eric Lieberman A social media.