LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) – Muhammad Ali traveled the world as a fighter and humanitarian, but he always came home to Louisville.
His Kentucky hometown was where Ali, as a gangly teenager, began to develop his boxing skills – the dazzling footwork and rapid-fire punching prowess. The three-time world heavyweight boxing champion never forgot his roots, returning to his old West End neighborhood and visiting high school classmates even after becoming one of the world’s most recognizable men.
Now the focus shifts back to Ali’s hometown as the world says goodbye to the man who emerged from humble beginnings to rub elbows with heads of state.
Ali, slowed for years by Parkinson’s disease, died Friday at age 74.
His funeral is scheduled for Friday afternoon in Louisville.
Celebrities and political figures from around the country are remembering the icon.
“The true GOAT (Greatest of All Time). What a sad day for everyone to (lose) someone so great and kind and someone who really stood up for what they believed in. He was my hero. He always will be. #muhammadali #cassiusclay” – tennis great Serena Williams on Instagram.
“I gave Ali the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005 and wondered aloud how he stayed so pretty throughout so many fights. It probably had to do with his beautiful soul. He was a fierce fighter and he’s a man of peace, just like Odessa and Cassius Clay, Sr., believed their son could be.” – former President George W. Bush.
“Ali, the G-O-A-T. A giant, an inspiration, a man of peace, a warrior for the cure. Thank you.” – tweet by actor Michael J. Fox, who has Parkinson’s disease.
more recommended stories
- Here’s What A Trump Presidency Means For Cannabis Laws
How will Donald Trump react to.
- Current Marijuana Laws In Massachusetts – MPP
Legislative battle ends with compromise; implementation.
- Millennial Parents and Their Kids Love Smart Speakers, but Data Privacy Issues Persist
http://www.adweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/voice-family-parents-PAGE-2017-652x367.jpg | 11 hours ago Google.
- 10 surprising spaces in California being converted into cannabis businesses
Published: Aug 15, 2017, 3:40 pm.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court Becomes First State Court to Find Employers Must Accommodate Use of Medical Marijuana
As the number of states legalizing.
- Dierbergs Markets Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Fish (Bonito and Cod), Lobster, Crab, Shrimp, Soy and Wheat in Product
St Louis-based Dierbergs Markets is recalling.
- Litehouse Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Egg In Product
Litehouse Inc. is voluntarily recalling a.
- Estimating Appliance and Home Electronic Energy Use
Our appliance and electronic energy use.
- CCTV footage Shows Deputies Torturing Young Man with Taser in Ashland City
CHEATHAM COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – A.
- Volunteers Sought For Reading Of The Names At The Vietnam Memorial On It’s 35th Anniversary.
When the Vietnam Veterans Memorial was.