Try to watch this video without shedding a tear. It revolves around a simple but poignant theory, developed by psychologist Arthur Aron in 1997: that four minutes of uninterrupted eye contact brings people closer to each other better than everything else.
In the clip, produced by Amnesty international Poland and Polish ad agency DDB&Tribal, recently arrived refugees from Somalia and Syria meet for the first time with Europeans in a warehouse near Berlin’s old Cold War-era crossing, Checkpoint Charlie.
As they open their eyes and make eye contact, the refugees and people from Belgium, Italy, Germany, Poland and the UK can be seen sharing an intimate connection, breaking down barriers.
“It takes a heart of stone to watch this video without shedding a tear. Today, when the world appears rife with division and conflict, it is always worthwhile to look at everything from another person’s perspective,” says Draginja Nadażdin, Director of Amnesty International Poland.
“Too often, what gets lost in the numbers and headlines is the suffering of actual people, who, like us, have families, friends, their own stories, dreams and goals. What if we stopped for just a moment and looked at who they really are?”
“Borders exist between countries, not people. And it is imperative that our governments start putting people before borders and their own short-term political gain.”
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
more recommended stories
- Misconduct Dooms Bid to Execute OC Mass Murderer
Orange County Assistant Public Defender Scott.
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- 96-Year-Old Convicted Nazi Declared Fit For Prison
A former Nazi SS guard.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Philippine Mayor Linked To Drugs, 14 Others Killed In Raids
Police in the southern Philippines said they fatally.
- Act Now; To Help Protect Trafficking Victims, UN Urges On World Day Against The Scourge
30 July 2017 Criminal groups feed.
- Switzerland Supermarkets to Begin Selling CBD Joints
Swiss tobacco producer, Heimat, branched out.
- Top US Diplomat To Return To Qatar For Talks Eith Emir
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
- Social Media Site Reveals 300 Anonymous Users Personal Info To Revenge Porn Victim
By Eric Lieberman A social media.