Six months ago, Mumbai-based illustrator Sebin Simon began drawing monsters into photographs of ordinary locations around his city for the 500,000-odd followers on his Facebook page Inkology.
Instead of focusing on landmarks, the monsters appear in everyday situations and the most ordinary of places — a construction site, an auto rickshaw, an overcrowded Mumbai local train, and even inside a drain pipe. Simon first photographs the locations and then digitally paints the monsters on them.
“The idea is to pick a location and make it come alive with vibrant art. The reason I chose monsters is because unlike humans, they can have super powers, which means I can get creative,” Simon says. While most of them are illustrated on random locations and object around Mumbai, he has also drawn monsters while travelling in places in such as Cochin.
While he mostly chooses derelict and ramshackle backgrounds, the monsters themselves are cartoon-like and cheerful, reflecting Mumbai’s resilient and vibrant nature. “I always try to illustrate them in a funny, friendly way,” Simon adds. “They just hang around and surprise you.”
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
more recommended stories
- Philippine Police Kill 32 In ‘Shock And Awe’ Drug Raids
Philippine police have killed 32 people.
- 96-Year-Old Convicted Nazi Declared Fit For Prison
A former Nazi SS guard.
- Magnitude 6.2 Quake Hits Philippine Island Of Luzon, Jolts Buildings
Students use their hands to cover.
- Car Rams Into Soldiers In Paris Suburb, Man Arrested
Benoit Tessier and Richard Lough 4 MIN READ.
- Philippine Mayor Linked To Drugs, 14 Others Killed In Raids
Police in the southern Philippines said they fatally.
- Act Now; To Help Protect Trafficking Victims, UN Urges On World Day Against The Scourge
30 July 2017 Criminal groups feed.
- Switzerland Supermarkets to Begin Selling CBD Joints
Swiss tobacco producer, Heimat, branched out.
- Top US Diplomat To Return To Qatar For Talks Eith Emir
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
- Social Media Site Reveals 300 Anonymous Users Personal Info To Revenge Porn Victim
By Eric Lieberman A social media.
- IS Attack Underscores Fragility Of Iraqi Security Forces
Iraqi Special Forces soldiers walk to.